My "new" bikes found July 26- worksman and pile of 1960s rust

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sunday morning acquired this Worksman tank err, I mean cargo trike. 2 Jacksons. Tubeless tires, this thing is heavy.

Someone bolted a kiddie bike seat to the lid of the storage box to tote their aspiring monarch around town.

Then in the afternoon, spotted these on Craigslist: Murray built Foremost 26" ladies bike, Huffy built Monark 26" ladies cruiser; Sears Spyder muscle bike, and AMF kiddie tricycle. Lots of surface rust; was plucked from a damp bay area garage.

Now to look for rust removal methods.

The whitewall tires are branded JCPenney foremost, first time I've seen those intact. The tires on the Monark are a -SWEDISH- brand called 'Trelleborg'.. which is the first time I ever seen a Swedish tire of any size.

I remember my 1960's Gambles Hiawatha came with Trelleborg tires. They lasted for many years. :)

The whitewall tires are branded JCPenney foremost, first time I've seen those intact. The tires on the Monark are a -SWEDISH- brand called 'Trelleborg'.. which is the first time I ever seen a Swedish tire of any size.

I never knew Trelleborg made bike tires but they are still in business. They have two plants in my area, one mixing & one that molds, and as far as I know they mold components for the auto industry at our local. They are still a Swedish company as well.

Do a Google search for electrolysis rust removal, it takes a couple days but is pretty much hands free and I've never had it damage paint.

I use #0000 Sandpaper, Wire Mesh Sponges? and Turtle on all my bikes with rust I need off. Id advise starting there before getting too invasive. Id be curious to know your plans on the Spyder ;)

FZ

also., detail brushes., like steel bristle or copper bristle tooth brushes work great for crevices., a trio of steel, copper and Nylon detail brushes can be had at Family Dollar in the small but semi useful auto section for about 3 bucks.

In reference to the Spyder the good news is that paint looks in pretty good shape. That Sears gold is really deep and nice. The bad news is that the Sears chrome was cheap and crap. So those bars are toast. I'll bet the seat post is garbage too, and the front rim... well, that may come back with a lot of work. How's the seat on it?

I never knew Trelleborg made bike tires but they are still in business. They have two plants in my area, one mixing & one that molds, and as far as I know they mold components for the auto industry at our local. They are still a Swedish company as well.

Yep. I have yet to find intact Trellborgs but they are out there.

In reference to the Spyder the good news is that paint looks in pretty good shape. That Sears gold is really deep and nice. The bad news is that the Sears chrome was cheap and crap. So those bars are toast. I'll bet the seat post is garbage too, and the front rim... well, that may come back with a lot of work. How's the seat on it?

I've fixed up enough Huffy-built bikes from this era to know that the chrome was usually good quality stuff. It just so happens that the Spyder has more rust and ridden harder than the girls' bikes you have. This is typical.

Try soaking the parts in lemon juice and see if it helps.

I have a Mover. Yeah, it's heavy. Like 3-4x a T&C trike. The seat post was shoved in all the way, rusted solid and broken off, welded and broken off again. No amount of heat or pbb would free it. I took it to Teesdale and he sawed off the seat tube and added a normal seat tube with a regular clamp and post. He found a bunch of concrete floor anchors inside propping up the seat post. The post was solid 5/8" and pretty long. The oem seat tube is 1/4" wall thickness! There is no drainage for any water that gets inside so the seat post will rust solid pretty easy. I drilled a hole through the bb shell, from the bottom and on through the top so the seat tube can drain out now. That hole also provided pbb/wd40/liquid wrench access from the bottom end. The seat post was supposed to be held in place by a set screw that just never worked.

Another issue is one hub is seized up on the axle. Someone trashed the spokes and hub trying to get it off. It's still stuck but since the trike is getting completely rebuilt and highly modified, new axles and hubs may be made.

Worksman sold and still sells its factory trikes with all kinds of options. Extra heavy wheels, tires, cargo boxes, etc. The Mover is the heaviest by far.

Back