My new Firemans Texas Cruzer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had to have one...I've been lusting over this design for the last 5 years since I got a postcard. I even sold my Spectrum Pursuit Bike to get it.

This is by far, the hottest looking bike I have ever had. Cool ride. You be the judge.

The Texas Cruzer isn't quite a rat but its close - OM Flyer Repli-racer. So I think it belongs here.

According to Greg "Fireman" Mundy, its likely the first in Canada. I will say that Greg is a great guy. He provides amazing customer service. He's patient, easy to deal with, and helpful. Great attitude. Strongly recommended.

Specs - 26" Texas Cruzer in University of Texas Orange. #600. Redline Proline 175 Cranks, Flite 42T chainwheel. 17T freewheel on back. SRAM chain (nice detail). Redline Stem, seat and pedals. Promax seatpost. A-headset. Tektro brakes and levers. Bulletproof hubs and Sun RhynoLite rims. Tioga City Slicks.

Even has a bottle opener welded into the bottom bracket.

I may hot rod it more by adding a Brooks B-17 saddle and putting billet valve-caps on.

pbpic1687388.jpg

This is what you get into when you go thru mid-life crisis but you know your wife will cut your jewels off for getting a Harley.

I took it out finally. Great ride. Real laid back. Solid. This this was meant to do wheelies.

SWEET! I am in Austin, Tx. and have one just like yours on order. Can't wait to get it. Did you get the upgraded pkg? The UT orange is the hottest seller. I rode one at a local bike shop but it was blue, I had to have orange. If you get a chance I sure would appreciate a large pic. of yours to druel over until I get mine. Saw the weather in Canada today WOW you guys are tough. We down here in Tx break out the long under pants and gloves when it is 45f. Spent some winters in Winnipeg and that was something to remember.

I got the standard package but took the Redline proline cranks and a flite chainring instead of the 1 pce. crank. The profile upgrade would have been nice but the set up I got is perfect. I've ridden it around and its sweet. I would suggest that if you plan to sit and cruise on road or off road a slightly wider saddle (mid, crow or sofa (BMX terminology)) would be more comfortable. My sit bones are too wide for the flite saddle which I will keep for racing (if I ever do it) but the bike is amazing. I did a minor tune job on the brake calipers, true 2 spokes, and I had to do a tiny bit of filing (Bahco #5 round file) on the front left dropout to deal with a slight alignment issue but this thing is perfect now. Just for fun I'm going to get some spiked knobbies and take it out on the ice at the cottage before winter is out. I have raw pics if anyone wants any of them emailed. Just let me know.

I'm in the process of restoring an early FTC. It's one of the non-looptail 26 inch cruisers.

Greg at FTC was kind enough to send me a white decal set to restore it and a T-Shirt too! That guy is top notch.

I've got NOS blue ano shiny side SUMO rims, blue ano NOS high and low flange Suzue hubs, early single pinch 180 flight cranks, red NOS KKT lightning copies, Tuf Neck red chainring, and Tuf Neck silver power disc ready for the build.

It'll be off the Chip at C4 Labs sometime this summer for candy red powder.

I have to tell you though, I really think I prefer your looptail version. It just screams old school. I'm digging the orange too.

There is a pic of the non-looptail version on BMX museum. Nice. I love the looptail. My main reason for buying the bike. There is something sexy about that rear-end - like a woman whose got a great .... I agree about Greg. Great businessman. He gave me a couple of T's as well. If I ever get to texas, I'm going to buy a case of his #4 Ale and bring it back.

Met with the FM yesterday, as all have noted Greg is a great guy. He let me compare colors and take a look at some frames. I finalized on UT orange. Here is a few pics. I love the bottle opener on the BB!

UT orange Forks and Gold Brewery frame

IMG_9163-2.jpg

UT orange vs. Neon Orange

IMG_9162-2.jpg

My frame waiting for Profile Part Group to come in.

IMG_9150-2.jpg

Yeah...so many colours to choose from...its hard. He still has the baby blue colour I think. I also liked raw. The UT orange is in my own opinion nicer than the fluorecent orange.

Back