My New Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very cool forum! I am new on here so forgive me if I don't post something right or make myself look like a fool :) I know I could go to Wal-Mart and buy a new Cruiser but it just wouldn't be the same especially since these were my Dad's bikes when he was a kid, and I think they need brought back to life.

I dug these two old bikes out of my Dad's barn that is falling down, so they are in pretty rough shape. The red one is Hiawatha and the other one is a Western Flyer. I think out of the two bikes I have enough parts to build me a nice Rat Rod bike.

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Can this wheel be straightened or salvaged in any way or should I just look for another wheel? This rear wheel is off of the Western Flyer, and the spokes are rusted and broke on the rear wheel of the Hiawatha.

IMG_0989.jpg

Thanks Gold Street Customs.

I thought I would share a pic of the original tire on the Western Flyer. When I was a kid I remember riding that bike at my grandpa's when we would come and visit.

IMG_0982.jpg

Man...wish we had barns like you guys do lol! Great starting point! I'd bang the forks, fenders and saddle from the Western Flyer on the Hiawatha and take it from there...

That frame looks like a prime candidate for this treatment to me: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=59532&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Whatever you decide, good luck with it and welcome to your new obsession! I lurked here for ages and still find myself browsing the pics at 3am lol

Hi and welcome to the site. You have a good start on your first rat there is your Hiawatha a 24 or a 26"? If you need or want to buy parts, this site has a lot to offer.

If you have the time and money and would like to buy them in person from follow ratrodders. Kansas City is having the 12th Annual El Torreon Bicycle Swap Meet on Sunday July 29th, check out the events page. This will be a great place to get parts, bikes and meet a lot of other rat rodders from this site.

Hope you can make it and good luck with your build.

The Hiawatha is a 26. I think the main thing I will need to buy are some wheels. Both bikes have major wheel issues. I have searched online but they seem expensive for cruiser wheels. It seems like I could go buy a new bike for $100 and take the wheels and tires off of it and have lots of spare parts too. What should a guy do?

Very true. I actually thought about doing that too, until I realized older bikes use different sizes on a lot of the parts for new bikes.
I bought new wheels for my schwinn and had to swap out the front hub (old to new wheels) so the forks would fit! I was glad I had the old wheel set.

I made a little more progress today. I was debating on painting the frame or leave it alone but the frame had been broke and welded once before so all of the paint wasn't original. I did decide to preserve the front part of the frame where it was white with the emblem on the front.

1-2.jpg

1-3.jpg

1-1.jpg

chromespeed said:
Can this wheel be straightened or salvaged in any way or should I just look for another wheel? This rear wheel is off of the Western Flyer, and the spokes are rusted and broke on the rear wheel of the Hiawatha.

IMG_0989.jpg
I've seen worse straighten out just takes time and patience.

That fork on the mens frame could really use a straightnin to. Cool bikes.

Carbon said:
That fork on the mens frame could really use a straightnin to. Cool bikes.
LOL! That's funny you say that. I think the only thing that is straight on both of these bikes are the handlebars and cranks. I decided to use the fork off of the Western Flyer it's in pretty good shape too.

Green P1 said:
Your hodgepodge is coming along really nice! I think I might leave the front fender off if it were me.

Thanks man! I thought about leaving it off too, I think I need to get some tires and wheels on it so I can see how it really looks.

Latest posts

Back