My new Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted a little about this bike in the INTROS section,
but I figured maybe I could get some more help here. :idea:

I just picked this up a few day ago from a yard sale for $50
I honestly don't know anything about bikes (well dirt bikes that a different story) ;)
So I know it's a Schwinn, and someone said it's a "Hollywood".
I still don't know the year and I have looked everywhere to find the serial numbers...yeah, not happening. :shock:
It has the PLanes and Trains badge, does anyone know around what years they produced those on the bikes?

Any help is more then welcome.
I have big plans for this bike, I just need to figure out what exactly I got here. :eek:
mypictures005.jpg

mypictures006.jpg

mypictures003.jpg

It's somewhere between 46 and 49 probably. If it has "drop center" wheels and they seem original it's probably a 46 or 47. Doesn't need much, if anything. Change a few of the details and I would call it done. The paint looks nice.

skoda said:
It's somewhere between 46 and 49 probably. If it has "drop center" wheels and they seem original it's probably a 46 or 47. Doesn't need much, if anything. Change a few of the details and I would call it done. The paint looks nice.

Thanks. =)
The pics actually make the paint look nicer then it is. Its actually pretty scratched and rusted...
Im gonna throw down some flat black and Im thinkin pink pin stripes :D
I wanna do the seat to macth in black and pink glitter vinyl...yes im such a girl! :lol:

your the 2nd person who said it could be from the 40's...I swear I looked EVERYWHERE for the serial #
maybe it's covered with paint?

sweet schwinn. sometimes those ser#s are hard to find. i had a time of it when i was trying to find them on my 63 jc higgins. general rule of thumb, they are gonna either be on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell (at bottom dead center), on the headtube just on one of the sides or on the left rear drop outs. what i did, since i was gonna repaint it anyways, was took a small pocket knife and scrapped away at the paint on the very bottom of the bottom bracket shell, thru the layers of paint and crud and i began to make out a number. a little patience and a gentle hand, and i had the numbers, and i never seen them thru the paint. sometimes you can get lucky and see a faint outline of numbers under the paint. the third place to look is on the frame around the axle nut on the left side of the rear wheel. if that number is there, it'll be within an inch or two of that left wheel nut. again, if your gonna stip it down and repaint it, carefull scrap away the paint in that little area and you might find the number. thats exactly what i did with my 59' roadmaster skyrider, and there it was.

all bikes have them, so if ya wanna find it, hope all our little hints will help ya. good luck and cool ride. 8)

With that frame, could be as late as 53. If other parts are original to the bike it will be earlier. So where was the ser. # located? This in itself narrows it down somewhat.

I can't see a '52 having anything but an oval Schwinn badge. Who knows though. Hard to date sometimes.

its a 52'. just checked my numbers at old roads and their schwinn chart says 52' C00001-C99999, among other numbers. thats cool. funny thing is, a friend of mine (in washington state) says a guy he knows is gonna throw way ( :shock: ) a 52' schwinn up there and wanted to know if i wanted it sent to me. so almost without pause, i said "oh .... yeah!". guy im gonna be refering to the all mighty schwinn charts once more for when i get mine.
its what some refer to (all schwinns back in those days, thru the 60's atleast) as "chicago built schwinns". i have one too, a 62' schwinn american heavy duti, and these bikes are bullit proof. enjoy.

Slick Rick said:
With that frame, could be as late as 53. If other parts are original to the bike it will be earlier. So where was the ser. # located? This in itself narrows it down somewhat.

Yeah it was under the bottom bracket.
Thank you everyone for your help. :D

We also discovered the seat, is and I think one of the wheels is not original....the tires for sure.
Also that greenish blue paint is not the original color, if you look close you can tell it's been painted.

One of the guys who works at the shop has a Schwinn trike he kinda works on and he hooked me up with some handlebars....wayyyy better. :mrgreen:
I just ordered some new grips last nite.
And I still got a lot of polishing to do....
mypictures007.jpg

Back