My new Truing Stand

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always did the truing with the wheels bolted to the bike, then ran across an instructable and came up with this. Adjustable from 12 inch to the 29er wheels. Super simple, 19 inch tube, rear kids drop out, some scrap metal and a magnet. With a set screw to adjust the up and down height and the magnet to hold the bar to ride along the rim. Sure you can go buy a dial indicator but I went with the low buck solution. I think it works just fine for the back yard builder.

Total cost??? Not much, more in welding wire and gas than in the scrap metal.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle ... ion/#step1

That's a 26 bolted up.

S5002772.jpg

S5002773.jpg

S5002774.jpg

And bolted to my very messy bench.

S5002776.jpg

S5002777.jpg

im still doin the upside down bike thing myself, but i found a tube (actually the plastic rod that opens and closes window blinds) that i split 4 ways and slid a peice of chalk into and clamp it to the fork. perhaps you could do that with your stand. even tape a sharpie to the rod. still cheaper than a dial indicator. and with my memory, i need the chalk line to show me where to start & stop adjusting. i think you could still check out-of-round with your stand. nice job, good thinking. 8)

Latest posts

Back