My new VW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up yesterday, drove it back 130 miles with no problems, but it was miserable bouncing on every little bump :x The car is very solid except for the expected cancer in the lower quarter. My only plans are to raise the car back up another 1.5 to 2 inches, disc brake conversion in the front, some minor body work and she's done. The font H beam on it now was narrowed 2 inches and welded in the current position (no shocks) It's no fun at all.
bikes-19.jpg

I know exactly what your talking about with the bumpy ride effect! My neighbor had a sandrail that he cut the shock towers off of. Worked great in the sand, but the buggy was also used as a grocery getter. Whenever I rode with him to the store, I would get very sick feeling. The bagger would ask "paper or plastic". I chose plastic, it holds vomit better than paper! :lol: Very nice looking bug! You guys keep posting all these great VWs, makes me slobber and drool! I'm gonna have to break down and get one soon!
I've had several over the years and have always regretted getting rid of each and every one of them.
Thanks for the pic and keep us updated,
Chainy

Nice Bug...representin the Cal Look scene in Cincinatti. Wowzer, How did they weld the front end? :?: Sounds verrrrry dangerous to me.I guess its better to look good than to feel good dahling :mrgreen:

I won't argue that it looks cool, but Ohio roads are unforgiving to cars like this. I was driving it home and actually hit the bottom of the h beam while crossing a bridge at 65mph. I want to enjoy driving this car, not pucker up every time I see a bump in the road.

I have a beam that is narrowed 3" with torsion adjustors welded in on my ghia. I also have 2-1/2" drop spindles, and my car rides about as low as yours, but it drives nice. I did have to install a set of castor shims cause it used to be kind of twitchy going down the freeway.
I wonder if they cut the torsion leaves in your car to drop it?

I'm most likely going to put a stock beam back under it with drop spindles, whatever they did to this beam I don't like it, it's too low and too narrow to make a decent turn. I like low cars, but I don't feel safe at all driving this right now. I'm going to put new shocks on the back and crank the torsions back up two clicks this weekend, the front will have to wait until spring.

I wish I had some winning lotto tickets. I had to cash out my 401k until I can go back to work next year, invested most of it, been playing with the rest. Right now is a buyer's paradise so I've made some purchases, unfortunately now I'm forced to sell my Lemon Peeler.

I think I might put it on the schwinn site and craigslist first, here if anyone's interested. Ebay is just a pain anymore, but it's a last resort.

necessaryevil said:
I got a deal due to the owner needing money, but it was still a good chunk of change. This one is staying with me for a long time.

This was from a thread started on Oct 31, 2008, so we are just shy of two weeks. So is an eternity about 6 months for you? :lol: I'm just messing with you.. :D

Yeah, I deserve that. I'll probably never find another krate this nice but I've been looking for a bug for a while. At least I've still got my home made krate to ride. I should have that back together this weekend.

I was thinking air ride too.

It sounds like the car was bodged to get it that low, your plans for it would make it more roadworthy.

Wow, nice bug...my dad apparently has enough to build one of these in his storage unit...along with the fridge, microwave and forklift :shock:

Why do those wheels look so out of proportion to the car? how big are they?

Latest posts

Back