My next project-Locomotive Breath!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got to take the bike on it's first real shakedown cruise. The ride is smooth and soft, and the bike is not all that unwielding. Obviously turning around in tight spots can be a chore with a 7 1/2 foot bicycle, but I was able to split lanes at the lights with no problem. 2 minor quibbles...the headlight bounces a bit, probably because of the low tech mild steel bent shelf bracket mount I made. I'm afraid one day it's just going to drop off in traffic. I also have to mount the sundial compass atop the middle gauge a bit more securely. Al in all though, I am quite pleased. She tracks straight and is a nice comfortable ride.
here are a few more pics from the ride...
px26.jpg

px27.jpg

px28.jpg

px29.jpg

I promise a whole video and the attached backstory soon. :cool:

Nice job!
However, when I first saw your title and designs, I first thought that you would be using a steam locomotive drive-train (sorry for the pun) to connect the front and rear chain rings.
Something like this (image from Wikipedia);
Walschaerts_motion_zps4a7ec613.gif

You would need disks on both sides, front and rear, and the connector rods should be 90 degrees out of phase.
I am a train nut, sorry. :oops:
Now I need to try that....

moleman said:
Nice job!
However, when I first saw your title and designs, I first thought that you would be using a steam locomotive drive-train (sorry for the pun) to connect the front and rear chain rings.
Something like this (image from Wikipedia);
Walschaerts_motion_zps4a7ec613.gif

You would need disks on both sides, front and rear, and the connector rods should be 90 degrees out of phase.
I am a train nut, sorry. :oops:
Now I need to try that....
I was toying with the pushrod idea, but logistics and my limited engineering got in the way.

Back