My old Team Mongoose...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z80

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about this in the intro section earlier, but thought this would be a good place to put up some pics... I cleaned it up a bit, but I still only have my partially broken iphone camera (auto focus is bad, I have a replacement camera for it, but have to swap it..). I got it in '82, but the SN is telling me it's an '81.. H152312. I'm not sure what to make of the SN, I don't see a designation for a Team/Supergoose. It has the extra holes in the rear brake brace, and 2 holes in the step type dropouts, but it does NOT have the flat spot for the chain. It is mostly stock with the exception of:

Seat - replaced with Avocet Aero in '83.. not sure why I did that :)
Seat Post - Replaced with CrMo laid back post about the same time as seat, had a red aluminum fluted one, but it bent on a rough landing
Seat Post Clamp - Replaced with red aluminum Suntour when I put fluted post on
Pedals - KKT Lightning installed in '82 or '83
Grips - A'ME Tri-Grips (went through several types of grips and liked these the best)
Brake levers - I installed Dia-Compe brake levers because they were cool...

The tires are original "Snake Belly" type, with Mongoose branding, I had a set of blue Tuff Wheel II's with Comp III's on it for a long while.. I think the Tuff Wheels are still in my storage somewhere :)

So... What do the experts think about the SN/year/no flat chain spot, and what I should ask if I decide to listen to my wife and sell it?

I have to at least give it one more ride.. and the tubes still hold air!

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Here is an 81 Super Goose I sold a few months back that also did not have the flat chain stay. There have been a few SG show up without the flat stays but if it has the 2 extra holes in the brake bridge it is 100% a SG. I believe if it was a Team Goose there would be a T with the serial #. Great bike and if you do choose to sell it just pop it on ebay and wait for the bids to go crazy...just be prepared to send it to Oz, those Aussie boys love them some Mongoose!

-Brian

There is no "T" that I can see stamped near the SN, but this was bought from an Authorized Dealer brand new, and has the other tells of a full CrMo frame.

Brian is right, super goose.
That is in awesome shape, it wouldn't go cheap here!

Thanks for the comments. I do want to get a rear brake cable at least.. I want to take it for a spin around the neighborhood, but concerned about the inner-tubes.

So.. Looks like we will be selling it. Been trying to do some research on what it should go for. Being told between $1500 and $2500 (big range) and I would like to narrow it down. Is this a rare frame with the 1982 type dropoffs (step type with two holes), no flat spot for the chain, extra holes on rear brake brace? Thanks for any help here. I just had a few big Vet bills for our precious little doggie (rescued female Pittie that is very lovable) and we decided we don't really need it.. Unless we want to see how an overweight 45 year old guy can take a landing these days :)

Pics with better camera...

mongoose040.jpg

mongoose064.jpg

mongoose059.jpg

mongoose056.jpg

mongoose055.jpg

mongoose053.jpg

mongoose051.jpg

mongoose033.jpg

mongoose028.jpg

mongoose023.jpg

mongoose005.jpg