My OP Cruiser... finally!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this forum sometime back in January or so, after I had moved to California and changed my whole outlook on bicycles. I had always been a BMX guy... I raced 20" and 24" Redline and GT bikes many years ago, and remained stuck on that style of bike for the rest of my life... up to recently.

Once I met my neighbor, Bobby, in Costa Mesa and saw his collection of beach cruisers, I began to change my mind about them. I had always thought of beach cruisers as heavy, cumbersome tanks that I would likely kill myself on if I tried to ride the way I normally do (which was like I was in a race).

I realized, however, that I don't race anymore and I don't have the need to ride like Harry Leary everywhere I go. In fact, I think being stuck in a racing crouch all these years has a lot to do with my neck being in pretty bad shape (although the ability to clear curbs and sidewalks at full speed saved my rear more than a few hundred times).

Bobby has a Kustom Kruiser "Duece," which I immediately thought was one of the coolest bikes I had ever seen. The weight immediately turned me off, but when I got on it, I fell in love. With the seat set back a bit from the bottom bracket, it was very comfortable, and I was sitting upright with the 15" apes putting my hands right about shoulder level.
cruiser2.jpg

Finally, I caught the cruiser vibe, and suddenly my 24" Redline wasn't as cool as I once thought. I immediately began planning a new bike... a custom. I just had to find the right frame.

I did a couple months of research and window shopping, which included finding this forum. In fact, I found out about the Ocean Pacific cruiser at Walmart on a thread here. With the sleek, black, aluminum frame, I knew that would be the basis of my new bike.
cruiser1.jpg

So off to Walmart in Huntington Beach. Of course, I insisted on one in the box to avoid the abuse of being tossed around by customers, and the wrenching of an inexperienced stockboy-turned-bikebuilder.

The original bars never even made it on the bike. Once I got it back to Bobby's house, the first thing I did was assemble it with the Nirve Straight Apes I had already ordered.

With the first ride, I already knew the seat was trash, and that although the seatpost was angled to set the seat back a bit, I still wanted a little more. Luckily, Bobby had a big Summit seat laying around he wasn't using, and I bought a layback seatpost from Let It Roll in Costa Mesa. Much better...
cruiser6.jpg

I then set out for a few epic beach rides. I knew by that time that I would be moving back to Vegas (no jobs!!), and there's no way I was coming back with a beach cruiser without actually riding it on the beach!
cruiser5.jpg

Fast forward a couple months, and I'm at my friend's shop here in Vegas (Bike World on Rainbow) where they let me use their facilities to work on the bike some more. I added the springer forks, a Nirve headlight, Wald fenders, and a red and black chain. I also put a freewheel on the back... briefly.

Having ridden BMX style bikes my whole life, I did not care much for coaster brakes. Unfortunately, I couldn't find calipers to reach the back rim, so I went with just the front hand brake.

That brake stopped me about as well as using my feet Flintstone-style. After a couple close calls... and realizing that I had actually gotten used to the coaster over the last few months... I switched back.
cruiser4.jpg

I also added a leather bar bag, which gives it a nice chopper vibe, a stronger kickstand, and a Cat Eye bar-end mirror to save my neck a little more. Soon, there will be red walls on it, along with a nice set of cranks, pedals, and a cool sprocket (a particular Profile sprocket, if I can find it).
cruiser3.jpg

As for the forks... it has been mentioned before that the head tube on this bike is quite long. Frank and Al at Bike World took about a quarter inch off each end to make the forks fit. Incidentally, a search for an extended fork tube resulted in somebody from Electra insisting that they did not have a longer tube available. Two days after they chopped by bike, one arrived in a shipment. I was a little pissed at first, but the operation went well, and the forks fit perfect.

I get compliments everywhere. In California, it would be just another cruiser, but there aren't many like this around Vegas. Las Vegas is not a very bike-friendly place (it's getting better with the addition of more bike lanes here and there), so most serious riders prefer more maneuverable bikes like what I used to ride.

The only drawback: Getting this bike on some of those cheap, rickety bus-mounted racks can be a task. Most of them aren't very beach-cruiser-friendly, and it's a good thing I didn't go for the 3" tires, as much as I would like them, because it wouldn't fit at all.

I'm not going to be hopping any sidewalks or curbs with this ride. I just have to get used to cruising! ...which is actually a lot more fun. I actually enjoy riding again!

Welcome to the pack, Seneca. Nice looking cruiser, too. As far as that steertube, I'm sure you could make some of your money back reselling here to somebody else with an OP cruiser. 8)

Bigcam59 said:
Welcome to the pack, Seneca. Nice looking cruiser, too. As far as that steertube, I'm sure you could make some of your money back reselling here to somebody else with an OP cruiser. 8)

It was too late for me, so I didn't buy it. The lesson was... don't let anyone at Electra tell you they DON'T have it! :x

Nice build! I came from the same background, though I always had an eye for cruisers because my Cuz always rode one back in the day, Jamis and Earthcruisers mostly. I actually found this forum by way of BMXMuseum, think I saw it in someones signature, been hooked ever since, I've since sold about 2000 dollars worth of my bmx bikes and parts and now have some pretty sick cruisers, several of which are 50's bikes. Been bombin the neighborhood now more than ever, ridin custom one of a kinds. I'm sure this is the first of many you will put together, have fun with it, after all thats what its all about. 8)

Back