My pre-war Hercules

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I found this at an estate sale last month and couldn't pass it up.

It's kind of the original Ratrod of bikes. It was pieced together before 1942 as that's the last license plate that was on it when I found it.

It's a hercules frame and crank set, racer bars, New Departure Model D coaster back hub, racing saddle (long since dead) 28 wheels, I don't think they're metal covered wood but I haven't cleaned them up yet.

and two different pedals on it.

I've already cleaned/polished as best I could the crank set, pedals, handle bars, and frame. I'm working on cleaning out the coaster (coated with really old grease) and then I'll move to the front hub and figure out what I"m going to do with the wheels.

Should I try to clean up the spokes or replace them? I can run 700C tubular tires on the wheels so I've been told. and I have an old leather fuju seat I thought I'd use but it's not that cool racing seat set up like I found it with.

That is a really cool bike. I like that you're leaving it alone, and just cleaning it up. I'd do the same.

If I remember right I used wire cutters to clean my spokes off abit better on my 1939 Raleigh. pretty awesome looking ride though, I got one of those aswell lodged into my shed somewhere lol

Thanks guys. I"m pretty excited about this one. Can't wait to get it riding again.

Do you think I should keep the spokes or cut them and get new spokes? I like the all original-ness of it and bright shinny spokes would definetely look off on it.

I would check to see if:
A) the wheels are warped, based that they look like metal clad wood rims.
B) If they are not warped in any way shape or form what condition is the wood in?

I would vote no, because old wood can be finicky and old wood rims are fragile even if they appear to be in remarkable condition.

I also probably would not ride that bike on those wheels either if they are indeed metal clad wood rims. Maybe a few times here and there but I would probably get a set of modern replacement wheels. Wood rims flex and bow the metal wrapped around helps out somewhat with structural integrity but its all about the wood. Also if/when you do ride it with the original wheels I would be sure to ride it on a smooth bump, divot, pot hole free area.

so how do I tell if they're metal clad wood? Does the wood show any place on them? I'll get them cleaned up this weekend.

Happy Hooligan said:

Depending upon the rim sometimes this area pictured above will have exposed wood. There should also be a seam where the metal meets itself from being wrapped around the wood. These may also be some of those weird early style road bike rims that are metal through and through but the tires are stitched on over the tube and then the whole shabang is glued to the rim.

I would see how heavy the front wheel feels and also put a heavy and strong magnet to the rim. See if it bites down hard on to the rim or if it slightly attracts to the rim.

(Did you ever stick a magnet to a Coke can? It will slightly attract to it, If you take that same magnet and get it near raw steel or cast iron it will almost fly to it.)

Loosely try this idea to see what they may be, slight attraction and light weight I would guess metal clad wood rim. If the magnet flies to it I would guess weird early track/road bike rims that are completely metal. This isn't the most scientific method but I think you can figure out what you have based on this test.

Cleaning the surface pictured above should also help indicate what you have.

And if all else fails most of the metal clad wood rims I have seen are wrapped in thin almost tin like metal, where you can press on the rim with a finger nail or another harder object and bow the metal. I would do this kind of test last and on an area of the rim that cant be seen.

Also try taping on the rim with your finger nail and listen to what sound they make. I think a thus would indicate wood, and a ping would indicate metal through and through.

Well after getting the model D and front hubs in order, I think I'm going to put them on a moder 700C rim and new spokes as I want to ride this bike and don't want to damage the old rims I have. It would also save on money as I have to buy tubular tires which are much more than normal 700c tires/tubes plus the tubular tires only come in track slitcks and I want to ride this around town.

Sound right?

well I've done it now. I was messing with a spoke on the back wheel and it snapped. So I cut them all off and cleaned up the rim.
i'm either going to put the coaster on a 700c or respoke the wood. Still making up my mind.

Back