My Rant About Technology

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bicycleguy said:
TheFlyingDingo said:
I cant stand texting. Yes, I text...but I dont like it. There is times my Girlfriend texts me because she is in class and bored out of her mind...the teachers dont care(college) but, Seriously? Just pay attention. I get texts from kids on craigslist too...I can tell when its a kid emailing me about a bike I have...(can i refer to kids younger than me as kids?)

Hey, U Stl Got Bike?

No...It sold to someone who can spell, and type out complete words.

The only time I ever used my phone in class(high school) Was to check this, or my email...and sometimes Craigslist...Im a little bit bike obsessed.

But the kids that cant stop texting, that is terribly annoying. I watched a girl cry because she got her phone taken away. I felt bad. Only because she is so emotionally unstable, she cried.

Some people only know how to use text grammar, I was peer editing a history essay a while back that read "Abe Lincoln wuz a kewl guy", "idk if i wood ever do stuff he did, would u?". At first it was funny but then I just felt bad because thats how the person actually wrote. :roll:

That's sad, just think our retirement is in the hands of these kids :shock:

My ex is a teacher and the school board around here really dropped the ball. Teachers were taking cell phones away from texters and everything was fine. Then the school board said "you can't do that" after getting many complaints from, of all people, PARENTS! A mother said to my ex once "She (her daughter) can text whenever she wants to. Besides I sent her a text first." ??????? If you know your child is in class supposedly learning something and they have been told texting leads to cell phones being taken from them... would you not wait until lunch time or something? the mother also said "It was really important what was I supposed to do?" to which my ex simply replied..."When your mother had an important message for you before cell phones were around how did she contact you? She called the school and left a message!"
She never had a cell and there were times that I really wish she had. Too many late nights wondering where she was only to find out that she had slid off the road into a ditch and had to wait until someone happened upon her on a long country road.
I have a cell and no land line. It is cheaper for me to own a cell instead of a land line. That being said I only answer when I have a minute and not while I'm talking to someone in person. I won't answer a text unless I have time and not while I'm talking to someone in person. I also won't acknowledge my phone while I'm driving. It's a big fine here if you're caught. My girlfriend now is the only one who sends me texts anyway. And she only texts when she has time at work and it's important.

Cell Phone = Electric Leash

I hated texting at first, I thought it was funny though, I could call some friends and theyd never answer, send a text instead and theyd reply right back, then I realized texting wasnt so bad. No more long winded phone calls you wish you could get away from, but im not having regular phone conversations by text, just basic info, which i like. If I could though, I'd through my phone in the deepest body of water I could find, but it's turned into a necessity for work these days :mrgreen:

A different type of technology post.

My son is 9, and until very recently, when we puchased him a laptop (mainly for school), had no computer game platform. He now has a few PC games, but has a time limit for them, and knows if he keeps using it after my wife or I has asked him to turn it off, he will lose his laptop for a period of time.

Any way.........for the last couple of years, whenever he went to one of his friends to play, he would come home talking about all the cool stuff he had done, like playing games on the X Box, PS, DS or whatever, and then spend the next couple of days asking for a game console.

But whenever his friends come to our house, their eyes grow to the size of dinner plates, and mouths drop open when they see his bikes, go-cart, slotcars etc..................gaming is the last thing on their mind, and sometimes they don't even go in the house. My son says that at school, all they talk about for the next day or so is all his "cool" stuff..............Go Figure :!: .

bean said:
... My son says that at school, all they talk about for the next day or so is all his "cool" stuff..............Go Figure :!: .

One of my high school buddies was a big gamer, we played PC games all the time and all the usual video game consoles ... at his 16th birthday party we realized his dad had a kiss pinball machine ... i dont think anyone came over again without wanting to play pinball instead :lol:

CCR said:
bean said:
... My son says that at school, all they talk about for the next day or so is all his "cool" stuff..............Go Figure :!: .

One of my high school buddies was a big gamer, we played PC games all the time and all the usual video game consoles ... at his 16th birthday party we realized his dad had a kiss pinball machine ... i dont think anyone came over again without wanting to play pinball instead :lol:

SWEET! I used to have one of those basketball hoop things made out of PVC pipe and an old blanket, I miss it :cry:

Back