My son's first real build/restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a mock-up last night to see how it wasall going to go together. We're headed to the LBS now to get a chain and the shop to pick up a few nuts, bolts & screws to get it all back toether today. Hopefully it'll be together tonight!

51261852176-vi.jpg

Lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet roller he has there!!!!!

Re: My son's first real build/restoration...REASSEMBLY BEGINS

He wanted to show it yesterday at the HACBC show but I guess it wasn't meant to be. The crank nut/bearing race thing did not want to go back onto it at all. Niether one of us could remember if it was a problem if something was wrong when he took it apart. But he did get a little work done to it anyway....

Tires back on the rims:
172182352-vi.jpg

Taping up the front fork & fender to protect the paint:
29244028048-vi.jpg

Putting on the new decals:
01278627424-vi.jpg

39278574992-vi.jpg

Cleaned and regreasing the bearings:
Aaronprogress08Jun2012-vi.jpg

I love seeing updates on this build.
I bet he is so proud of this bike!!
Sorry he coudln't make it to the show though!

He was pretty bummed about it. He ended up taking his Bajitas instead. He still had a great time but w/o the Stingray. I'll have to tell about what the 4-H people have told us about displaying the bike at the fair too..... :x I'll post that later.... I've got a couple extra cranks I'm going to try on his bike to see if they work. If not...well....we'll have to go with plan-B.

We found a seat post that will work with his seat. He painted it charcoal grey metallic to match the chain ring monday evening:
seatpostpaint125Jun2012-vi.jpg

and installed it last night with the seat & sissy bar. No photo of that.

A new front axle was ordered to replace the one thats been chewed on by a rinocerous and the axle slots on the fork will have to be opened up to fit the BMX axle. We also found a bracket to mount the front fender the way he wants it but will need a little trimming before it fits. More pics to come soon!

Super!!!! Look forward to more.
Tell him that I am very jealous of his way cool build!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Super!!!! Look forward to more.
Tell him that I am very jealous of his way cool build!!!!

I will! He's excited to show it at the Back to the 50's show in September since he says it "looks like an old hot rod". 8) :D

Got some more done on his bike yesterday. He opened up the slot on the forks for the axle. He's using a set of BMX wheels with more spokes than the original wheels:
31219942496-vi.jpg

Then he put on the wheels, chain, chainguard (see below) and tightened everything down:
482306000-vi.jpg

He chose a gold chain to make the colors "pop" even more, as he put it. The front fender isn't installed yet. We've had to come up with a bracket to get it to mount lower & closer to the tire so there's not a huge gap between the fender & tire. The chainguard we bought for it ended up not being for a 20" either. It's more for a 16" by its size. So a bracket had to be made to extend it forward about 2 inches. We're having to come up with something to hold up the rear end of it now. Once those things are taken care of, touch up painting will begin and then its done!!

Just gets better and better!!!

After a long brain storming session, and before too many blood vessels burst in my head, we figured out how we're going to have to attach the front fender bracket to get the look that he wants.

We're going to have to remove the front fork and drill small holed into the front & back of it. Then we'll tap the holes for some small screws that will attach the fender bracket. Clear as mud......,right?

Re: My son's first real build/restoration FINISHED

FINISHED 10JUL2012
He finished it last night!! :D You want to talk about one excited bike rider when he took it for it's maiden ride in the driveway. But of course, mean old dad wouldn't him go far, skid the tires, wreck, etc etc...... We also got his display stand made yesterday si it'll get painted very soon. It has to be turned in to the fairgrounds Monday evening the 16th. It'll be judged with all the other projects and we'll see how he did on Friday the 20th. Regardless if he gets a 1st place or a last place, I personally don't care. I'm very proud of him taking on the project, not giving up, and helping him any way I could!!

25253638960-vi.jpg

04253670928-vi.jpg

57253671024-vi.jpg

06253389280-vi.jpg

This build has been a blast to watch!
He did a great job and really stepped up to the plate on this one!
Good luck at the fair!
Very proud to have another young master builder on the RRB team!
BRAVO!!!!!!!

Your son looks really happy ther ,on his work of art ,bike looks great ! don't know how i missed this build but i'm sure gonna go to the beginning and check it out 8)

Ralph

Thanks guys! I plan on some more pics once his display stand is painted & ready. The nice thing about it is it's not too heavy and can be used for years to come. The down side is its made for 20" bikes. Here's a couple more shots of it:

25253659680-vi.jpg

08253685408-vi.jpg

54253670192-vi.jpg

Thanks again! I keep telling him what everyone posts and he's loving it!

Here's the display he'll be using for his bike. Its a Ford Foxbody space saver spare tire with C-channel steel welded to it. The tires sit into the C-channel and the rear tire will rest in the dished area of the wheel's center. Then a couple of the giant sized zip-ties to hold it in place. We'll have a nice cloth cover to go over the tire/wheel so you cant see it. This was inexpensive to make and will look pretty cool at a show!!

Primering it:
582380192-vi.jpg

Painting it bright Silver:
18255230400-vi.jpg

Oh man, what a wicked idea!!!1
It will look like a hot rod rocket ship!!!!
To the moon Alice! To the moon!!!

Back