My Straight 8 Cruiser. An Evolution.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I don't think i've done enough to warrant a build thread, but I'm really proud of what I've done with my electra given my limited workspace and budget. This is the evolution:

Here it is the day i brought it home. Notice the kryptonite lock. The first thing to be added....and then removed.....from the 8.
f1KgUl.jpg

The next picture I have of it is after a lot of "ooo, that looks cool" buying. Added are: ape hangers, electra checkered mirror, nirve headlight, schwinn horn, and electra leather grips (the stock ones broke apart in weeks). Probably the point with the most "stuff"
OjN48l.jpg

This pic has the first "custom" piece added. A vintage Shimano chrome stick shift. Notice the headlight is removed. The mirror is soon to follow....
2HI6Jl.jpg

And here it is as it sits today. The mirror has been removed to make the bars fully clean. I got some 26" electra fenders and modded them to fit the 24" on the 8. The supports curve to shorten them....but I personally think it looks cool. I was able to make a taildragger 'somewhat' easily by flipping the stock stubby fender upside down and mounting both of the rear fenders off of the seat stay. The brooks saddle was a lucky craigslist find this week. I love the look, but its the narrow flyer and i think a B66/B67/B33/B135 is in the very near future. Other future plans definately include a layback seatpost and may also include clubman bars....I'm not sure yet.
a6id7l.jpg

GJUu1l.jpg

8cixgl.jpg

w7nTbl.jpg

Right now, to me, it reminds me of a big harley highway cruiser. the apes and full fenders give that feeling.

Looks good! Interesting how you did the double rear fender and the bent fender supports look like they're supposed to be that way. I find riding to be a bit uncomfortable without a mirror, though.

i did like the mirror.....but i felt like i was always readjusting it and that it was always vibrating.

IMO, bike mirrors that are flat are pretty much useless. A wide angle convex mirror is the way to go. Stick a spot mirror on that thing, and try it again.

Back