??Mystery Monark??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well everybody,

What I have hear is definitely a Monark. Got for $80 this past weekend from a yard sale picker/reseller in Big Bear, Ca. (82 miles one way from where I live!...but it was a nice day to drive up the mountains 7,000 feet.) I contacted http://www.nbhaa.com and the amusing gentleman there (I assume I dealt with a guy), upon looking at my photos, told me that it is probably a 1952 but that's it. I was curious to know what the original colors are on the bike so I started to gently remove multiple layers of colors.

The frame went from (starting from top layer):
White
Gold
Black
and finally..I think..
Maroon/Dark Red

The Fenders went from (again, starting from top layer):
Old rust red
Gold
Black
Orange
and finally..?
Black again

So...this bike seems to be a Maroon frame and Black fenders. Does anybody know if this was and actual factory color combination? Does anybody know what model name this may be? I'd like to look for parts that go with this model. The model number is 130 OG (at first I thought 1300G but the first "0" and second "O" are different) but I haven't gotten anywhere with that number. It has original New Departure wheels and coaster brake and it's a boys bike (24" bike) but I'd like to enjoy riding it myself.

Gracias for lookin!

full-shot.jpg

bike-paint-remove.jpg

frame-paint-layers.jpg

fender-paint-layers.jpg

neck-badge.jpg

id-plate.jpg

Well, so far Rocket sounds most feasible. Because of my total lack of knowledge on the subject, first I thought this bike could be a Roadster 24". Then a Super Deluxe. Now, I think it's the base model Rocket. Just wish I knew for sure.

That's a Rocket type frame. Super Deluxe used a different frame. I'd guess it's a late 40's due to the way the rear of the guard is attached. Gary

Thanks fellas. Yeah, probably a Rocket. Not too rare but I like it. I'm going to try to get all those nasty layers of spray paint off and get down all the way to the og. paint.

By the serial #, it's a 1953 according to my list. Rockets usually have Rocket head badges. Normally, '53s had the later style chainguard, but this being a junior model, and a 24" could explain it. Monark maroon was a fairly popular color, though I can't say I've seen one w/black fenders. Gotta love your description of NBHAA Lord of Bike Knowledge aka Leon Dixon, as "amusing"! :lol: -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
By the serial #, it's a 1953 according to my list. Rockets usually have Rocket head badges. Normally, '53s had the later style chainguard, but this being a junior model, and a 24" could explain it. Monark maroon was a fairly popular color, though I can't say I've seen one w/black fenders. Gotta love your description of NBHAA Lord of Bike Knowledge aka Leon Dixon, as "amusing"! :lol: -Adam

Haha!, yeah I got a taste of his personality when I submitted this bike for his perusal. Took his "chastising" with a grain of salt and appreciated his help in ID'ing this bike.

Cool Adam, I think ur reference list is probably accurate. So it's a '53...nice...good year. And, I think there's actually maroon paint under what I thought was the last black layer on the fenders. I have the bike taken apart right now. Gonna change all the bb's. The inner workings of that rear New Departure hub are neat. So is that flip top fill spout. Cleaned all that 60 year old gunk out good and clean with brake parts cleaner spray. New tubes, new white walls ready to mount. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Back