Nascar rant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Nascar finally ruined Nascar. Yesterday's Talledega "race" was just a 400+ mile parade, with a couple big wrecks at the end. Their new rules were supposed to be in the interest of safety, but they didn't stop two cars from flipping over several times. :roll:

all of racing is in peril. AMA has killed superbike racing too. i can't even follow it anymore.

long live the IOM TT. Real men, real racing.

I'm not a big fan of the modern day Nascar or many other 'new and improved" (read, Boring) motorsports. Too many people have jumped on the bandwagon for the wrong reason. As far as the officials and governing bodies ..... I think they're all ex "soccer moms".
The only thing that really irritates me about Nascar, is when I walk into a bar and someone is running their mouth about Jimmy Johnson :x ! Thems fightin' words.
signed,
"Chainsaw" Jimmy Johnson

I wish at Talladega that they would take out the bottom ten rows of seats in the tri-oval and let the teams run what they brung without restrictor plates.

In my humble opinion bump drafting has gotten way out of hand. Back in the good old days if a teammate pushed you around the track it would have been called intentional contact and the pusher would have ended up with a black flag and sitting on pit row.
It used to be that aggressive drivers bumped the car in fornt of them to let them know they were there and to get out of the way, not to push them around the track and help them win. Thats one of the reasons Dale Sr. was called the intimidator.
I read an article with some quotes from Richard Petty and he basically said that bump drafting is for woosies and that it allows teams with a lot of money and a lot of cars to dominate. Kind of like Jimmy Johnson maybe ?
Thanks for letting me rant in your rant :mrgreen:

deorman said:
Once upon a time, long ago but not far away, they actually raced modified "stock"(as in buy it from your local dealer w/heater and am radio for $2500.oo) cars. 8)
Kinda reminds me of how monster trucks used to be, real steel trucks on a real frame, and fearless drivers. Now they're just a mess of tubing with a body skin over it, super safe and super boring :roll: . I do enjoy the nascar road coarse events though.

The France family should be ashamed about what they've done to NASCAR. They've made millions off of it, while moving it as far away from it's roots as possible. It can't hold a candle to NASCAR in the era when Roy Hall, the Flock brothers, Red Vogt, and Raymond Parks were still involved!

2manybikes said:
and the pusher would have ended up with a black flag and sitting on pit row.

Thats one of the reasons Dale Sr. was called the intimidator.

Not to start an argument within a rant within a rant, but....aren't those 2 statements a bit contradictory?

Dale Sr. made a career out of driving like that. He went FAR beyond "bump drafting" and wrecked whoever he couldn't pass otherwise. Nascar loved him and would not dream of black flagging him for his "techniques". If you haven't guessed yet, I was never a fan of his, but that is not really the point.

Nascar has always had it's favorite "Golden Boy's" who could do no wrong. Over the years they make rules/decissions on the fly and, somehow, their calls always seem to favor a certain team and/or driver. It is one of the reasons I have fallen away from Nascar. They will do whatever they have to do to make the driver they want win.

As far as Talledega and/or Daytona, Nascar is not going to give the drivers or fans what they want. Get rid of the restrictor plates and let them race. They are all concerned about the cars breaking the 200mph barrier, but they have no problem with 43 cars going 195 in one big pack. They can't see the forest through the trees. If they let the cars go all out, they will be further apart and the wrecks will be less severe. One thing, the rules they have now are not stopping the cars from flipping.

I could rant all night about Nascar, but I am going to bed.

Dan

Danimal said:
2manybikes said:
and the pusher would have ended up with a black flag and sitting on pit row.

Thats one of the reasons Dale Sr. was called the intimidator.

Not to start an argument within a rant within a rant, but....aren't those 2 statements a bit contradictory?

Dale Sr. made a career out of driving like that. He went FAR beyond "bump drafting" and wrecked whoever he couldn't pass otherwise. Nascar loved him and would not dream of black flagging him for his "techniques". If you haven't guessed yet, I was never a fan of his, but that is not really the point.

Dan
You are right Dan, those two statements do sound a bit contradictory.I'm not a big fan of Nascar let alone Dale, but I like a good rant. 8)
What I was trying to point out is that drafting has become pushing, and that is lame in my book. In the past when aggressive drivers like Dale bumped another car it certainly wasn't to help them around the track. Now teams are using it as a tactic to help a chosen driver win. Dale probably should have been prevented from using aggressive tactics, but ratings rule and Rednecks like to watch wrecks :mrgreen:

One might argue that the reason he died in fiery crash is because he crashed ...a lot. 8)

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
long live the IOM TT. Real men, real racing.

Oh yeah! Seeing the TT is on my bucket list. Check out the film "One Man's Island" if you get the chance: http://www.onemansisland.com/

When it comes to cars, British Touring cars (BTCC) during the SuperTouring years were my favourite. Stock bodied cars sliding three wide around Brands Hatch - now thats racin'!

-Mp

Back