Naval Jelly Tips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of guys recommending naval jelly here so I gave it a try. I brushed it on a washed it off 15 minutes later like the directions on the jar but it I got no results. How do you folks use it?

Solved my own problem. Applied it with a toothbrush and scrubbed real well, then rubbed with 0000 steel wool. only took a few minutes to get a set of handlebars all nice and shiney. Now to finish em off with some wadding cloth.

BelknapG said:
scrumblero said:
if you let it sit on there for an hour, it takes a lot less scrubbing. :roll:

It won't dry out?

ya it will.. I usually mop a bit more on if i see it start to dry out, but the rust wipes off with a rag for the most part if you leave it on long enough..

scrumblero said:
BelknapG said:
scrumblero said:
if you let it sit on there for an hour, it takes a lot less scrubbing. :roll:

It won't dry out?

ya it will.. I usually mop a bit more on if i see it start to dry out, but the rust wipes off with a rag for the most part if you leave it on long enough..

Good to know. Will give it a shot when I start the front wheel tomorrow.

Thanks for tip.

BelknapG said:
Solved my own problem. Applied it with a toothbrush and scrubbed real well, then rubbed with 0000 steel wool. only took a few minutes to get a set of handlebars all nice and shiney. Now to finish em off with some wadding cloth.
Use naval jelly and a more medium grade steel wool on spokes. It gets all those years of oxidation off very nicely. Follow that up with a pass from an SOS pad and water and they look new!
Also, always wear gloves and eye protection when using naval jelly.

Rat Rod said:
For a less caustic approach, just use 0000 steel wool and some WD40. :wink:

I second that. I've had great luck with 0000 steel wool and 3in1 oil. Same idea and works great on light rust. Here's a Dyno Von Franco I just "restored" using that technique:

5346487951_509f6da70f_z.jpg

I've used the 3n1 with steel wool before and it did well on the light rust but fell short on some of the heavier portions.

Latest posts

Back