neck for a '59 Schwinn cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first post here, so go easy on me. I own a '59 Schwinn cruiser (middleweight), and I have a question about the neck. I love the patina it has, so replacing it with a new piece would be disappointing, but doable if necessary. I have added a new wedge to the bottom of the stem, and am able to secure the neck tightly in the head tube. My issue is the fact that the neck seems just ever so slightly smaller in diameter than the neck opening...if that makes any sense. So even though it's secure, it still has a slight wobble back and forth due to it's diameter being smaller than the opening in the head tube. I have wrapped the neck in electrical tape as a makeshift temporary fix, but the tape is already starting to fail and the neck is starting to wobble again already.

My question would be, first, what size is the neck on this bike? Is there an aftermarket part available as a replacement? Is there any suggestions as to sourcing a replacement? (Possibly one that has patina to replace mine should that be necessary). Thanks in advance for any help and for helping a total noob out with a question! :D :oops:

Jay

the stem on a '59 with the original fork should be a 22.2mm diameter. sounds like the stem was replaced with a mid-60's or later .833" unit. american manufacturers changed to a thicker walled fork steerer tube at that time.

finding a correct older one with patina on ebay should be relatively simple with a little patience. :wink:

You can probably get by if you replace the top nut with one from a newer (late 60's) Schwinn bike. I had an old neck rechromed and they polished off enough metal that it was a bit loose like yours. A new style smaller dia. top nut fixed mine. Gary

Which model Schwinn do you have? I have a stem from a 59 Jaguar for sale, nice patina as well.

GTV, here's the thing...I've looked up the serial number to confirm it's a '59, but I don't know what model it is! (I've plugged it in at schwinncruisers.com and all it says is..."congrats you own a genuine '59 schwin...blah, blah, blah... no info on particular model). I've asked a couple bike dudes I know but they don't know, and say they don't think they could even tell me. If I got you the serial number, would you be able to tell? I'd be interested in your neck should it fit and at the right price. Let me know what you think! Thanks man! :D

Jay

Unfortunately you won't be able to tell the model from the serial number. If you put a picture or two up I'm sure I could at least narrow it down, if not tell you exactly what it is.
I have the stem listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68492&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I will take $15 shipped for it.

GTV, or anyone, how does one attach images to a post? I see the "img" button, but not sure where I would upload the images for the code to work? Thanks for any help!

Jay

OK GTV, I figured you had to upload to images a hosting site and paste the url into the IMG tags. So I've got the images I have uploaded and will try to link them here. These are all kinda crappy iPhone pics I've taken and shared on Instagram. I hope there's enough info you can glean from them to make a guess as to the model of bike this is. Let me know! Thanks!

Jay

582828_4259045762237_54179068_n.jpg

530563_4267026801758_21847521_n.jpg

149522_4268203551176_873750190_n.jpg

251909_4293111093849_564770227_n.jpg

314854_4326542009601_1083634547_n.jpg

554498_4388210551276_2085255309_n.jpg

Wow, not a lot to go by there at all. If it is a middleweight frame and it is a 59 I'd say it was most likely a Tiger or Speedster. If it's a ballon tire frame then it was a Wasp.

GTV, Speedster was my guess. I don't know how you tell the difference between a middleweight frame and a balloon tire frame, but I do notice, if these are the original fenders the catalog shows a slight "soft tail" swoop at the back end of the front fender on the Wasp that this one doesn't have. Sorry for the crappy pics. It's all I have right now. Thanks a ton for the help! :!:

About that stem.....is the one you offer at $15 a 22.2mm? I assume it will fit this bike? I might be interested in it at that price, even if I'm taking a bit of a "chance". Let me know and thanks again!

Jay

The balloon tire frames have a little more width between the fork and the seat/chain stays. I'm not sure exactly how much. If I had to guess, is say yours is a middleweight.
The stem will fit as long as there is nothing wrong with your fork, it is 22.2mm (7/8"). It's an original off a 59 Schwinn Jaguar, I had it on my 60 Jaguar for a while. Still has the AS pinch bolt (a little hard to read but it's there).

OK, cool! How do we proceed on the stem GTV? Let me know, I can pay via PayPal if that helps. You can invoice me (my PayPal email is: 64sambajay"at"gmail"dot"com) or I can just send over funds if you let me know your PayPal email. Thanks again!

Jay

Back