Need a good laugh?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul (Uncle Stretch to Steve) was out roaming today - heading to the metal place to buy some pipe for his latest creation - and while he was out he stopped by a scrap yard and asked if they had any junk bikes laying around.

They gave him a couple of bikes - one Free Spirit that has a 3 speed Shimano 333 on it that he's going to pass along to me, and a custom chopper.

Here are his finds ...

WFreeSpiritsingle.jpg

weirdchopper.jpg

I didn't ask him if the front fork sections on the custom chopper were welded together or just driven together. I have a feeling, though, that someone just cut off some other fork ends and drove each fork into the next piece until they got it as long as they wanted.

Now does that qualify as a rat rod? Or maybe a freak bike? Or just an "Oh wow!!".

"OH WOW!"

I bet that second one isn't tough to ride at all! lol

How about some riding pics of the chopper?LOL! I think that would involve no turning! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

Yeah Rickster,Thats the way we did it here in central N.J. back in the day too!

...and lived to tell about it.

I guess he needs to get it cleaned up, aired up, and then take it for a ride. :lol: :lol: Yeah, right.

It's a Huffy Good Vibrations frame - like the one I used for my build off bike.

Here's my use of the same frame ...

IMG_1484.jpg

versus this nice custom chopper ...

weirdchopper.jpg

It's really hard to say when looking at them together which one looks the best. :D

Looks like they even used the same seat as I did.

Oh, and the steering wheel is from a Ford but I think the sensor on the front wheel has been disconnected so the air bag doesn't work anymore.

Buck, you may have a scrap place by you and not even know it.

Those places are places that recycle metal - so aluminum cans, copper wire, all types of scrap metal, etc.

People usually bring in scrap metal by the truck load and sometimes in their load of scrap there is a bike or two.

Usually the bikes get crushed up with everything else, but if you ask the guys at the place to watch for any bikes and set them aside for you they usually will - especially if you give them something - $5 each or whatever - for the bikes.

The value of the metal in a bike is probably $.50 or something, so they would love to sell you all they come up with for $5 each. More money for them.

There is a scrap yard by me that is not allowed to resell! I drive by all the time, ask them to shove any bikes to the side for me, but they never do - guess it's al abut the dollar. But I do see many bikes in there when I drive by, and right nest to the bikes are some puppy dogs that may not like it if I enter :mrgreen: sad sad...

Yes, that is sad. The bikes could be put to good use instead of ending up as scrap metal.

Sometimes the laws make no sense. It's one thing to keep you from reselling cars or car parts, but including bikes in that same law is a bit much.

I guess you could use Paul's approach and tell them you will give them $5 for each bike you take. Then see if that changes their attitude. :lol:

i dont think its laws, i think its business policy.

i watched a janitor get fired at Sams for eating a peanut from a busted bag he was told to throw away :?

Back