Need Bendix 2 Speed Automatic Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rebuilt a yellow band the other day. Put the wheel on a bike and rode for 2 days and it works great. I did notice today there was a lot of slop in the wheel (side to side play). Pulled the wheel off, adjusted the hub a little tighter, put wheel back on bike, turn crank and notice it spins hard. Hmmm maybe I got it too tight, I loosen some, reinstall wheel, same thing. Did this many times. Loosened it where there was a lot of play in the hub but it seems to tighten back up once I install on the bike.
What's up?
Thanks.

Hm, that is peculiar. Was the recessed locknut difficult to thread or did it move pretty freely? It should be somewhat tight, if not, it may be worn. I'm not sure though.. usually hubs get sloppier over time versus getting tighter.

Thanks for the reply. Think I figured it out. On the brake arm side the axle is stripped and the nut not tightening. Now my question is are these axles hard to come by? If so can I just weld the nut to the axle on the brake arms side where it's stripped?

If the axle threads are the ones stripped, maybe a few washers can move the nut outward enough to some good threads. I've also threaded an extra nut behind the stripped one and had it work.

Wildcat said:
If the axle threads are the ones stripped, maybe a few washers can move the nut outward enough to some good threads. I've also threaded an extra nut behind the stripped one and had it work.
Thanks Wildcat. I'd thought about that but it's quite a ways back before I reach good threads. I think I'd end up with it all to wide to fit the frame and/or not enough axle left to get the axle nut on.

Latest posts

Back