Need help identifing a schwinn...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a schwinn frame (I'll post a picture soon) that I found in my shed I'm going to rebuild.
It has a cruiser look to it and hardward for a rear brake cable welded on.
The head badge has the numbers - 1197
The rear wheel attachment point has a serial # (hard to read) Y7041396 or YZ041396.
Any help would be awesome!
Pat

I just sand blasted it and found a sticker on the tube from a bike shop in California too.
Pretty cool,
"Buena Park Bike Shop"
Pretty cool.

"Beginning in the 1970s, many Schwinns feature a 4-digit stamp on the head badge that represents the assembly date and consists of the Julian day and the last digit of the year (1246 decodes to the 124th day of 1976 or 1986 -- use decals and components to determine the decade). The Julian dating was adopted for Schwinn's domestic production in 1976."

We'll need a pic to narrow it down.

The frame has a later model chain guard mount tab, on the seatstay, but the kickstand housing looks like an older Chicago Schwinn. It had speeds, there's a cable stop on the chainstay. The welds on the frame, mainly head tube are hard to see in the pic. Maybe another look at the serial number on the frame?

The frame sandblasted...

The sticker from a bike shop in California...

The frame had been painted all over with a THICK layer of rattle can black, the original color appeared to be a lavender / purple. I have tried every serial number page I could find and just can not find this bike anywhere.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm guessing it's a 97 frame from a cruiser.

Wildcat said:
Going by the frame welds, it's a newer frame, maybe 97.
That would be my guess, also the frame mounted cable boss suggests it's a newer model too.

Back