Need help identifying this bicycle. Decades old Enigma

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, and thank you in advance for taking a look.

This bicycle was my first bicycle, my parents bought it for me in the late 70's at auction here in the US. It was very unusual, especially back in the 70's, because it had headlights/generator/ electric horn, etc. It's design was also unusual. Bike shops haven't seen anything like it. I have researched it a few times over the past 30 years and never have found anything similiar. I've found DEKI bikes before, but the emblems and information are different, nor is there anything that looks like this.

It is black in color, I believe it's powdercoated. The fenders are polished aluminum, though some of the shiny bits are chrome. The decals are red silver and black. The downtube reads, GT 20 DEKI and has racing cheques on either end. The headtube has a metal emblem, gold and black in color, that reads DEKI across the top, and "TD" just underneath it. The decals on the fork depict a knights helmet and chequed racing flags. The seat is adjustable with a quick release.

It has a set of headlights. The headlights are run by a small generator which contacts the side of the tire. The faster you go, the brighter the lights. You can "kick" the generator on with your foot. It also has a horn, an electric horn, small push button attached to the bars. It has a derailler with a shifter behind the headtube. It has a chainguard.

The hubs/front and rear are very unusual, a brilliant red high impact glass. The tires, which I am pretty sure are the originals ( as you can tell from the lack of tread) read, R.D Supertread. ROADMASTER-ACE

Here are photos. The bike is hanging in my garage, and I was unable to get it down without my spouse here. It is, as a result, seen hanging from it's hook, and it is covered in dust so that the hubs and paint/decals/bright fenders, etc, look dull or are hard to see. I can take additional pictures after washing it, if need be.

In this photo you can see the headlights. Behind the headlights, the small round slatted "thing" is the horn. You can also see the red front hub cover, with some streaked bright red areas...the bright red is where I rubbed away the dust with my fingers so that the brilliant red color could show through. You can also see part of the front emblem (gold) on the headtube.
gt20deki004.jpg

Overall photo, you can see the generator, etc. The tires aren't whitewall btw, they're just worn on the side by the generator,which was improperly aligned for awhile when I was a kid.

gt20deki001.jpg

Any ideas? I can take detail photos if needed. Any help would be appreciated, and thanks again! I am a mountain biker, and have a decent collection of nice old/and new bikes from my more recent exploits...which I know a great deal about, but this bike has been an enigma to me.

Thanks for the reply. I actually saw your thread before I posted. The thing that confuses me is that even though the name "deki" is the same, the emblems are different, not just the font of the emblem but the entire emblem and style. I know sometimes companies change emblems over the years, but it would seem not to that extent.

Does yours have a name on it other than deki? Mine says TD on some parts, Deki TD on the metal headtube badge, and GT 20 along the head tube, and has racing cheques and knights helmets on other locations.

I cannot read the few websites I've found with "deki" on them, all seem to be different companies with wildly varied products. I've tried translating, everything comes out garbled. I wonder if deki is a brand, or a word that describes something that is used by many brands...

I also don't understand the headlights and motorcycle horn and all the other bizarre bells and whistles on mine, especially for it's age.

Yours is a nice looking bike. Do you know what year yours is? What's the frame material? Did the person or shop where you found it know anything?

Thanks!

Back