Need help ID'ing a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify this bike? I was told it might be a Hercules/ Hawthorne but can't find any that look like it.
Calliesgraduation093.jpg

The closest thing I found is on this forum...This is Leroy's Malvern build http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/vi...st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=malvern&start=15#p322553
P1010574.jpg

Thanks, :D

Reminds me of a Hawthorne with the twin top tube and single canti bar but the extreme angle has me thrown :? The crank screams Hercules to me though
bike4.jpg

looks like someone's mismosh of parts, Schwinn grips and front rack, fenders look Hercules, frame is god only knows what. It's pretty cool though.

yeah, with that chainring, i am thinking hercules, too. with the cottered 3pc crankset, definatly european and probably english. no headbadge? looks like something on the headbadge from the picture, but i could be wrong. other english manufacturers that this bike is NOT are raleigh, royce union and phillips. cool bike though. what year on the hub?

Herc is definitely a possibility, they were sold by Montgomery Ward, probably sometimes badged as Hawthornes. It also reminds me of an Australian Malvern Star model. Maybe one of our members from Oz could help on that. -Adam

That frame is identical to the Hercules 3 speed I bought years ago. 26" wheels with full fenders. 18" frame if I recall, it was a little small for me. The lower top tube on mine has a sloppy weld repair, but it's straight. I've looked online for that frame and never found an actual picture. I did find a 1960 Montgomery Wards ad that had the same frame. Mine says 100% british steel along with the Birmingham England Hercules headbadge. The serial number is 1556, on a dropout i think. It's stashed over at my bother's place somewhere. Hercules was bought up by Raleigh in 1960 and then all Hercules were badged Nottingham, so that is a Birmingham frame, a "real" Hercules. It looks like a Hercules headbadge on yours.

That's the curviest frame I've ever seen for an english lightweight. It would be a great pashly govn'r style bike.

Back