Need Help to Indentify My New Finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked these up at a yard sale, I know what a couple are but would like to here what everyone here thinks I found.
Group Pictures
newbikes002.jpg

newbikes001.jpg

Shelby?
newbikes003.jpg

Unknow, but the neck looks special
newbikes005.jpg

newbikes010.jpg

Skip tooth crank and the badge says STANDARD
newbikes011.jpg

newbikes013.jpg

AIRFLYTE?
newbikes014.jpg

newbikes015.jpg

Not sure if these wheels go with this Schwinn
newbikes018.jpg

newbikes019.jpg

I also got a few extra parts but the on worth mentioning is a 26" Araya rear wheel with a bendex tandem hub?

those should be 26" s-7 rims on the schwinn, but ive got a 66 typhoon that has chrome instead of painted wheels, from the seat tube decal it looks like yours is later than 66 too, schwinn wheels but probly from a different bike. i kinda prefer the striped/painted wheels myself, i think they look cooler with a plain old set of blackwall tires.

maybe some middleweights still had the painted wheels after 67 though too ???, but generally the typhoon was made the cheapest, so if my typhoon has them i would say every model above the typhoon would have them (chrome wheels) when new.

(ps, the sprocket is on backwards)

the schwinn is a typhoon (only guys 26" middleweight available in 73 in the catalogs) had chrome rims originally

Hi,

Beyond the Schwinn you have two Huffman built bikes and two Snyder built bikes.

The Airflyte girl’s bike and the red boy’s bike are both Huffman (Huffy, Dayton, etc.) built. The boy’s is postwar and the girl’s is most likely postwar also. 37Fleetwood has put together information on dating Huffmans by serial number and that information can be found on the CABE site.

The Standard girl’s bike and the rusty boy’s bike are Snyder (Rollfast, Hawthorne, etc) products, both are pre-war and I would guess the boy’s is 1937-1940. That frame was produced as early as 1935 but the earlier frames did not have the drop stand stops stamped as part of the rear dropouts. The girl’s Snyder is from about the same time period; earlier versions had straight seat stays. Snyder serial numbers have yet to be decoded. If you would like to post your serial numbers they could be added to the growing data base.

Obviously the bikes are missing parts and some of the parts on them are not original. The chain ring on the boy’s Snyder is from a later Shelby and the fork looks to be from a late seventies bike that had front wheel retainer clips. The chain guard is a is a desirable piece and could be original but is probably earlier than the bike (1936ish).

The two Huffmans look reasonably original. The ribbed stem may have started life on one of the prewar Snyders as that is where it is usually seen.

Hope this helps,

Phil

CCR said:
the schwinn is a typhoon (only guys 26" middleweight available in 73 in the catalogs) had chrome rims originally

Anyone know what the white painted rims were used on? They both have schwinn approved script

Santiago said:
CCR said:

Anyone know what the white painted rims were used on? They both have schwinn approved script

earlier year bikes, they should be stamped either s-7 or s-2 on the rim along the spoke holes. s-7 is for schwinn middleweights (26x1-3/4tires), s-2 is for schwinn heavyweights (26x2.125tires). they were probly from a bike made before 1966. ive got a 65 typhoon with painted wheels and a 66 typhoon with chrome wheels. if its got a bendix redband hub its probly from 1962 - 1965, if it says S C H W I N N on the brake arm they could be from as early as the 50s

Schwinn used painted S-7 and S-2 wheels from 1947 all the way up to the late 60's. S-7 being a Schwinn specific size of either 20" 24" 26" x 1 3/4". S-2 came in 20" 24" 26"x 2.125" With the exception of early post war bikes, they were usually found on the lower ticket models. Hubs would be a good clue to narrowing down a vintage on your wheels.Later & PEACE!!! :wink:

I need to know how long the head tube is for the front forks.....And could you trace the the shape inside the two top bars on some cardboard?
I'm in Visalia...can I call you?

Those are the same frames used for Radio Huffy's.....look
bikes058.jpg

32421radio_bike3.jpg

Adapt said:
I need to know how long the head tube is for the front forks.....And could you trace the the shape inside the two top bars on some cardboard?

I just found the serial # it's 8H044...
I'll PM you my number

Awesome Thanks.....maybe I'll stop in Fresno to trace those top bars.....

Have you started working on them yet...

Back