Need help with date of an old Hercules

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm a complete newbie. I have done a search, both here (tons of info here, I love the site!) and on google, but I can't seem to figure out the date of this Hercules I bought over the week-end. It has a SturmerArcher 4 speed (yes 4, not 3) shifter on it and the rear hub is stamped with Hercules Cycle and motor company above that is stamped oe1. The frame is marked DT 2716 at the seat post. Any idea what the date of manufacture is? I'll try to post some pictures, but it's too dark to get a decent shot right now.
Thanks!

Sturmey hubs are generally stamped with the year and month of manufacture.

They aren't always consistent with the placement and orientation of the numbers, but every one I've seen is stamped near the >Sturmey Archer< logo on the hub shell. Since they're proper English mechanical parts, they leak oil all over themselves, so you'll have to clean it up and inspect for numbers.

The 4-speed I'm not certain of production dates so I would say this is your best bet for dating it. I'm going to guess it's around a 1959 but without seeing it, it's hard to even make an educated guess.

Inspect the front hub closely- it may also yield some numbers stamped in it.

Get a Photobucket account and get some pics up so we can help ID it!

--Rob

cyerby said:
So, I'm a complete newbie. I have done a search, both here (tons of info here, I love the site!) and on google, but I can't seem to figure out the date of this Hercules I bought over the week-end. It has a SturmerArcher 4 speed (yes 4, not 3) shifter on it and the rear hub is stamped with Hercules Cycle and motor company above that is stamped oe1. The frame is marked DT 2716 at the seat post. Any idea what the date of manufacture is? I'll try to post some pictures, but it's too dark to get a decent shot right now.
Thanks!

Thanks. I'll get some photos asap. The rear hub is not stamped sturmy archer that I can see. It is stamped "Hercules Cycle and Motor Company" I will clean it up some more, the only numbers I've seen are something that looks like 0e1, which makes no sense. Again, thanks for the comment. I'll try to post some pics tonight

Hey all,
I was cleaning up the bike and I decided to check the front hub. It's a sturmey archer dynohub GH6 stamped 351 so...would you say this bike is a 51 hercules? From everything I've read, I think it is certainly before 1960. 1951 seems realistic to me. what do you all think?

Here's some info I found. Sounds like your hub would be a 51.

"I know, there's a date code. And I found it, too. It reads:

4 5 6

which I figure I can interpret either as 4/56 or 45/6 or as just some random numbers.

But I also know these hubs changed little by little over time. This one has an oil port, a feature I've never seen on a front dynohub before. The dynamo-side face, where the electrical terminals are, is a dull matte colored stainless steel, just like on a DynoFour hub I have (which is dated 50 2).

So, my question for those of you who have dynohubs dating to the period 1945 - 1956: does mine sound like a '45, or a '56?

What side is the adjusting cone on? If the dyno side, with a notched adjusting washer, I'd say '45; if on the other side, '56."

Just bought a VERY similar Hawthorne Hercules last night from a gent on CL and it looks remarkably similar to yours but missing the dyno and headlamp. The guy I bought it from found it in its original condition and has kept up with it meticulously over the years. He has it dated as a 1958. I will post a few pictures later after I pull it out of the station wagon and get it into the garage.

Here's a link to my Flickr stream for the Hercules I purchased last night. I've been studying that 1960 print ad from a previous post and am looking at a replacement front rack along with a vintage Miller dynamo and light set that popped up on ebay. Might also go with some cream colored Schwalbe Delta Cruisers to class things up a bit as well :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7809055@N0 ... 070089403/

Nice bike..how do you like the ride? I've been working on mine. I think I'll head to the swap meet this week-end to get some parts. Hopefully, I'll be able to find everything I need to at least ride it soon. I know I can get everything going, but the rear hub..saving that for last. If it's in as good of shape as the rest, it won't be a problem. It was pretty sweet to spin the front wheel and touch the wire to a bulb and see it light up. Pretty cool!

Latest posts

Back