Need help with identity.......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I think I have, 1970's Schwinn Breeze with a Holdsworth Trike Conversion Kit. It's going to be a Trike Beach Cruiser for my wife. But before I get into this, I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me.

P1090006.jpg

P1090001.jpg

P1090002.jpg

I think the trick kit is missing parts, be sure to brace it by the seat stays. I have one kinda like that but mine has a frame that holds a wooden bycket with fenders that goes to seat tube, I can't imagin it staying ridable for long how that is, then again i've never tried

Hsean said:
I think the trick kit is missing parts, be sure to brace it by the seat stays. I have one kinda like that but mine has a frame that holds a wooden bycket with fenders that goes to seat tube, I can't imagin it staying ridable for long how that is, then again i've never tried

Yeah, I was able to do more research last night after I posted this. You can see where the seat stays were cut off. Since this is going to be more of a custom, I'm thinking of maybe doing a suspension set up. I also want to see if I can get a 3 speed hub in there. The one thing I noticed is how light it is compared to production trikes we had been looking at. Thanks for the response..........

You can see where they have a small nut and bolt to keep the rear axle from folding up, but I wouldn't trust that for long. Interesting that the axle is mounted offset to the right side instead of both mounts being inside or outsite. Suspension would be really easy on this, and if you gave it the ability to freely cycle up and down your could put an air shock on it and slam it.

The book that came with my trike shows the option of different hubs mounted into the frame drop outs with a smaller chain running to the axle, that setup gives you unlimited possibilities if you can mount the extra gear on the central hub. If you want the central hub to be a coaster you need a fixed rear axle gear though.

If you want I could take a pic of my trike's drive system, may give you an idea on how to put your 3 speed in, mines a single speed but if I wanted to i'd be able to make it a 3 speed by welding a ring to the other half of the hub.

Hsean said:
If you want I could take a pic of my trike's drive system, may give you an idea on how to put your 3 speed in, mines a single speed but if I wanted to i'd be able to make it a 3 speed by welding a ring to the other half of the hub.

Yeah, that would be great.

yoothgeye said:
You can see where they have a small nut and bolt to keep the rear axle from folding up, but I wouldn't trust that for long. Interesting that the axle is mounted offset to the right side instead of both mounts being inside or outsite. Suspension would be really easy on this, and if you gave it the ability to freely cycle up and down your could put an air shock on it and slam it.

The book that came with my trike shows the option of different hubs mounted into the frame drop outs with a smaller chain running to the axle, that setup gives you unlimited possibilities if you can mount the extra gear on the central hub. If you want the central hub to be a coaster you need a fixed rear axle gear though.

After seeing some of the units on line, I'm sure this one was butchered up a bit. I've been drawing up ideas to have new tabs welded on and a support or Shock mount put on for suspension. The guy I got it from said his kids rode it around, so I'm sure the bolts worked good enough, but needs a much stronger set up for the long haul.

Heres some pics, it was abit dark out and I only could take em just now because I was busy but you can see pretty good still.

100_2357.jpg

100_2360.jpg

100_2361.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I like the dual sprocket with coaster brake. think that set up will work good. I really wanted to give her a 3speed with coaster brake and I have found them. The unfortunate part is the axle is part of the wheel, so I need to either try to save those or find different axles.

Wouldn't be to hard to make a mount to hold a hub like the one mine has. weld the dropouts of another bike to them dropouts and weld a sproket ro the other side of hub. this ones a coaster it rides nice because the balloontires and alloy cruiser frame I used. Going fast is not a very good day I found that out one day. lol

Back