Need help with pocketbike (Wiring 49 cc)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got a pocket bike for free from my friend. He got it for free from a guy at his work, who did a number on it. It runs and rides as is, but nothing else works. Headlights, taillights, signals, kill switch, horn, etc. Theres lots of wires just hanging. Just wondering if anyone could help me fix it up, I can't find any manuals online.

side.jpg

This wire comes out of the top of the engine and is sitting inbetween the triple trees

engine_top.jpg

enginefront.jpg

Also the red and green wires hanging there, theres also 3 wires that look like grounds on the other side that arent hooked up.

Markm said:
pull "engine" and implant into bike frame :D :D :D
run generator lights!!!

Thats the main reason I took it, and it has nice front and rear disc brakes.

I don't care so much about the lights on it, I just need a kill switch so I don't have to pull the spark plug wire to shut it off haha. And theres lots of wires hanging around.

ride the heck out of it till you find a bike!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Question?
Does it use a battery?
If so, it will have a rectifier/regulator. (AC voltage to DC) in the charging circuit from the stator most likely mounted under or outsude of the flywheel.
If not, it may power all electrical through the stator (AC voltage). Or in a rare case, from voltage generated in the ignition circuit at the kill lead.

Since it runs, the ignition coil is probably stand-alone from the other electrical circuits and doesn't need any voltage input. The ignition coil will have a spark plug lead and a smaller wire called the kill lead. When the kill lead has continuity to ground, it shuts down the ignition. (off) It may also have a coil trigger mounted next to the flywheel if it has a remote mounted coil. and if so, there will be a wire running from the trigger to the high tension coil which has the spark plug lead.

Basically, you've got 3 main electrical circuits;
1. Ignition
2. Charging, if it has battery.
3. Accessory; lights' horn etc.

Look it over and show pics of anything questionable and I hope I haven't confused you more. Thanks!!!

cashman said:
Question?
Does it use a battery?
If so, it will have a rectifier/regulator. (AC voltage to DC) in the charging circuit from the stator most likely mounted under or outsude of the flywheel.
If not, it may power all electrical through the stator (AC voltage). Or in a rare case, from voltage generated in the ignition circuit at the kill lead.

Since it runs, the ignition coil is probably stand-alone from the other electrical circuits and doesn't need any voltage input. The ignition coil will have a spark plug lead and a smaller wire called the kill lead. When the kill lead has continuity to ground, it shuts down the ignition. (off) It may also have a coil trigger mounted next to the flywheel if it has a remote mounted coil. and if so, there will be a wire running from the trigger to the high tension coil which has the spark plug lead.

Basically, you've got 3 main electrical circuits;
1. Ignition
2. Charging, if it has battery.
3. Accessory; lights' horn etc.

Look it over and show pics of anything questionable and I hope I haven't confused you more. Thanks!!!

Here are some more pictures, I sort of understand what you mean. Yes it does have a battery.

eng6.jpg

eng5.jpg

eng4.jpg

eng3.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng1.jpg

Do you have a volt-ohm meter? If not you can buy a cheap one from Radio Shack.
First things first. Since it has a battery, the ignition could be battery or magneto. Find where the spark plug wire goes from the spark plug. If it has a coil next to the flywheel, it could be an inductive magneto system like is on your lawnmower. If it has a remote coil with a trigger next to the flywheel, it could be a battery ignition like is on your car. The inductive magneto style is the simplest and it will have a wire that attaches to the coil for a kill lead. To kill the engine with a magneto style coil, all you have to do is ground the kill lead to stop the engine. If it has a battery ignition, you have to cut electricity to the coil to stop the engine. If it has a battery style ignition, they may have it straight wired from the battery and to kill the engine, all you have to do is kill the juice from the battery.

Ratina, WOW!!!! I JUST PICKED UP THE FRIGGIN IDENTICAL BIKE MONDAY!!!!!!
Runs, no lights, no signals, no kill, etc..... all wires hanging out.....
I started to disconnect the rats nest of wiring and label all connections. Of course some things had NO connections such as the keyswitch and LED.
I will try to design a schematic for as much as I can figure out. I would really like to make the charging system work again and the rear light/signals. This bike (In case you didn't know), has an electronic start. Right behind the pullstring there is a wire coming out. Connect that to +12vdc, and ground to the chassis to operate the starter. That does work on mine, but of course, not with the start switch.

CASHMAN..... can you assist with technical expertise if I provide detailed information? I'm not sure how the relay box works and how the charging system connects. The relay box should be pretty straightforward with only 4 wires - HOT, GND, START, and ? (I documented it at home but I'm not there now).

Again, I will take detailed pics and draw a schematic to the best I can and send.

(My bike does not have the kill wire you spoke of that I can tell). I close the choke and rev it to kill it.)

If possible, email me at [email protected] and let's exchange numbers? I'll call you if you want. Let's help each other and get these things wired up!!

Sure. I don't mind helping. Don't let that mass of wires fool you. Think of them as hose pipes that begin and end somewhere. The object is to identify the source and path of voltage using a volt-ohm meter. I've never seen one of those bikes, so it's all new to me too. I would idintify circuits first with the battery disconnected. This will lessen the likelyhood of doing damage to the system. You can always determine if a circuit is energized from the battery by observing continuity with the positive battery cable with your ohm meter. But to start with, figure out the ignition circuit. Follow the plug wire to the coil. Where does the coil get energized? From magnets on the flywheel (inductive magneto style) or through a battery connection (battery ignition). You may have to remove a cover on the engine to find out. You will have at least three main circuits and maybe more.
1. Ignition
2. charging
3. accessory (lights, horn, etc.

This is not a pocket bike but it is the closest thing I've ever had to one.

leftmini.jpg

This was me in 1968 on my 5hp Lil Indian 5000 mini bike. I still have it. Still runs although I've replaced the engine. Thanks!!!

I just got this same bike last weekend from a friend. I have a question, on the right handlebar where the throttle is there is a little yellow button, does anyone know that this does? When I push it, it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't. I have charged the battery and everything, but the only way it will start is when I manually pull the cord. This bike rides fast and it fun to ride. I need to put new headlights on it because the bulbs that came with it were dead, but none of the auto stores around know about them.

psychorob said:
I just got this same bike last weekend from a friend. I have a question, on the right handlebar where the throttle is there is a little yellow button, does anyone know that this does? When I push it, it sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't. I have charged the battery and everything, but the only way it will start is when I manually pull the cord. This bike rides fast and it fun to ride. I need to put new headlights on it because the bulbs that came with it were dead, but none of the auto stores around know about them.

they usually put the kill switch next to the throttle, for emergencies. start it up, hit the button, the bike should die.

Back