need help!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seb

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello ratrodbikes( sorry for my english iam french)
iam new owner of a raleigh chopper
i dream about this bike since i was a kid;and i finally found it
in france ; i am so happy;
i am going to do a little restoration; but i want to keep his
original look;
i've got a few picture ; but i don't have the bike now, i will get it in few weeks
so i send you two picture : one with all the bike; you can tell me what do you think about it; and the second i need your help; i saw a lot of picture of this part of the raleigh chopper on internet;
and i think it's not the same thing as my bike;
"WHEEL NUT FOR STURMEY ARCHER" ; i think it's the right word for this thing?!
so ;with my picture; can you tell me if it's normal on my bike?
thanks a lot ; happy to find your forum !!
because in france ; chopper owners are rarely !!
i hope your understand me too !!!
thanks a lot
Sebastien.
921579012.jpg

225597zoomin.jpg

I'm not gonna lie to you, but I know NOTHING about older bike models.
However you're perfectly right, that is not the original bolt, but if I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about it.
Relax! Ratrodding is all about being and looking cool. As long as it works, it doesn't matter at all.

Hey there Sebasian, a very nice looking bike you've got coming your way! The shocks on the sissy bar are awesome.
As far as the axle nut goes, yours looks like the correct one was lost at some point and somebody just stuck a normal nut on there.

It should work just fine as is but to get one of those should be pretty cheap as Sturmey used them for a long time and there are tons of parts for those hubs. Sturmey Archer is an English company too, so it shouldn't be hard to find parts in Europe. If you pick one up, it'll replace the nut that is on that side. And the mini indicator chain coming out of the hub, actually goes out through that hole in the center, not out the far end.

When you get that all set, visit our good friend Sheldon Brown for a failsafe adjustment for Sturmey Archer to ensure those gears all change correctly. http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer_tech.html#adjustment

Good luck, enjoy!

hi everybody!!
i would like to thank a lot all of you for your advice !!!
thank you very much jpromo !!
I was not expecting so much!!
i am waiting for the bike; normally i will get it tomorrow!!
i'm going to buy the good nut; maybe one day it should be changed;
i'm sorry but i don't understand your comment" The shocks on the sissy bar are awesome" ? !! you mean that 's the sissy bar is in bad condition? good condition ??!! sorry !!!
thanks to raggedjim and herku too , for your welcome !
see you

ok thanks !!
so .... i 've got the bike !!
i saw a lot of things which are a little bad.
the rear wheels is not perfectly in the middle;
the shifter doesn't works and his indicator too( but;for the indicator; it's seem to be not very difficult to repear it)
the 3 speed works if i directly pull on the string ;but too strongly in my opinion
i think the pedals goes to much near the chain guard ....... etc .....
i will post pictures later

Latest posts

Back