need longer nexus 3 sp shifter cable!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd like to put dyno apes on my electra straight 8. but the shifter cable which runs through the frame wont be long enough to reach the handlebars. any advice on getting longer cables and running them through the frame? and how do i re adjust the nexus hub shifter when new cable is attached? any help please.

ronnyclicks said:
i'd like to put dyno apes on my electra straight 8. but the shifter cable which runs through the frame wont be long enough to reach the handlebars. any advice on getting longer cables and running them through the frame? and how do i re adjust the nexus hub shifter when new cable is attached? any help please.

1. buy a tandem length cable & plenty of housing.
2. pull out old CABLE leaving the old housing.
3. run new CABLE down, using old housing as a guide through the frame.
4. pull out old HOUSING.
5. run new HOUSING up, using newly installed cable as a guide.
6. in gear 2 the yellow mark in the little window will be centered between the 2 thinner marks.

another option is to just buy the longer cable, a double ended ferrule, and just a litle more housing. no extra points for looks with this setup though....

wow thanks! when you think about it that teqnique seems so simple but i would have never have come up with that on my own. then i got the courage to take apart the shifter at the rear hub and thats not a piece of rocket science either. now i can go ahead and get apes as big as i want. thanks again

If you have decent mechanical intuition™, you can fix bikes. They are shockingly simple. Especially coaster brake cruisers.

ronnyclicks said:
wow thanks! when you think about it that teqnique seems so simple but i would have never have come up with that on my own. then i got the courage to take apart the shifter at the rear hub and thats not a piece of rocket science either. now i can go ahead and get apes as big as i want. thanks again

yeah, that rear mechanism looks fancy on the outside, but it's basically just a cable clamp on the inside :D

Latest posts

Back