Need Padding For Seat Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to recover an old StingRay seat. I have a nice piece of leather the right size and thickness but can't find the right kind of padding. I have a piece of the old wool (?) looking stuff that was on older 30's and 40's seats, and I have the usual yellowish colored open cell foam that is just too wimpy for a seat. I'm looking for a piece of closed cell foam, 2' X 1' X 1". I have a sample piece and it's perfect. It's grey colored, very dense and firm, and it's waterproof...but I can't find any scrap pieces large enough. I found the stuff on the internet but they only sell very large pieces for more than I want to spend. What do you use for padding on your recovered seats? B607

I used a dense foam carry-along knee pad on this seat. The kind that old ladys use in their gardens. Turned out ot. Easy to shape. Might also check at an outdoor store for camp sleeping pads or something...
3082743794_e2a6c7f1b8.jpg

Hey Brig,
I was at Wally World and thought I'd check the camping dept. Sure enough, they had those foam bedrolls. Half inch thick, really dense and firm padding. Should work just right and only $6. I'll have enough for a dozen seats. TNX! B607

Latest posts

Back