Need some build advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rev

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing alot of searching and I just can't come up with the answers. My son and I want to build a bike. From what I can describe, with what little I know about this stuff, he wants a bike that is kinda like a Basman and kinda like a motorcycle from Rookecustoms.com that is the S&S tour bike. He also wants to build a "tank" so we can hide a battery for the lights. He's only 8 years old but already is 4' 4" tall and weighs 74 lbs. I was planning on building the frame from scratch since I have access to a couple of benders.

My questions are these:
1: What size does everyone recommend for the tires? 24", 26", others?
2: Where do I find some of the parts like a multi speed rear hub, the wide tires, rear fenders, ect?
3: I know that conduit is a cheap way to do it. Is 1" tubing going to be strong enough? He wants a "Low and Slow" kinda bike.

Thanks for any and all help you guys can give. This is really a new deal for me. Randy

Hello Randy and welcome to RatRodBikes! Building a bike with yer son is a great idea!

In answer to your questions . . .
Wheel size is kind of a personal choice, and for your son, you could go with either size. It just depends on the look you are going for. Maybe shorter, fatter in the rear and taller in the front.

For parts, check out http://www.choppersus.com/store/ We got a few things from them for the build my daughter and I are doing. Fast service, good selection of custom parts, and I just got an email from them saying that they have confirmed that the WIDE rims will be back in stock very soon.

As for using conduit . . . it’s been done and it is inexpensive, but . . . remember that it is galvanized, Be aware that it is NOT healthy to breathe the fumes from welding that stuff!

Have fun with your build . . . I’m sure it will be rewarding for both of you guys and your son will remember it for the rest of his life!

personally im using 20" wheels on the one im making for my son(also 8 but about 3-4" taller than yours.).
as for tubing as fireproof stated the galvinized coating will give off toxic fumes when welded.personally i wouldnt use conduit even if that werent the case....it not as strong as e.r.w./seamless/ or d.o.m. and really not that much cheaper than using e.r.w.(your local steel supplier will have all of those)
ive always used .065(1/16" wall) e.r.w. tubing for all my stuff after every bike i cut apart had it and havent had any problems with it. if youre planning on using a motor then id go with d.o.m. or seamles but for a bike e.r.w. will be plenty strong.
if youve got any qustions feel free to shoot me a pm with them(be aware im not on here that often right now but i will get back to you as soon as i am. so be patient).
good luck and looking forward to seeing what you 2 come up with!
btw since i dont know what your welding experience is im going to say practice on some scrap tubing the same gauge as what youre planning on using and then try to make the welds fail from stressing the joints....better to know if its going to fail BEFORE your boys on it! if you weld for a living sorry...like i said i dont have a clue as to what your skill level is :wink:

Back