need some help ID'ing a garage sale bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i picked this up today at a local sub sale, and was hoping to get some help with an ID. i know it's kind of a frankenbike, but i'd like to know the make and year of the frame. my guess is a hawthorne, late 40's. i ditched my van and cruised the bike around all day, it's a nice rider.
P1090444.jpg

P1090447.jpg

P1090446.jpg

P1090445.jpg

P1090448.jpg

Believe it or not the frame was made by Shelby, circa 1938. Along with the more well known line of Airflow frames Shelby had a second pattern frame, available in both straight-bar and parallel curved bar (rainbow) versions. This frame is fairly uncommon and there is some (unproven) speculation that at least the rainbow version of the frame may have been available as a MW Hawthorne. A rainbow frame is known to exist with a quad-plate crown fork like the one on this bike but the few Shelby catalog pictures of the frame show it with the more standard forged crown Shelby fork. There is no known tank for the rainbow version but the frame you have does have a companion tank, specific to the frame, that I have only seen twice on eBay in the last ten years.

rms37 said:
Believe it or not the frame was made by Shelby, circa 1938. Along with the more well known line of Airflow frames Shelby had a second pattern frame, available in both straight-bar and parallel curved bar (rainbow) versions. This frame is fairly uncommon and there is some (unproven) speculation that at least the rainbow version of the frame may have been available as a MW Hawthorne. A rainbow frame is known to exist with a quad-plate crown fork like the one on this bike but the few Shelby catalog pictures of the frame show it with the more standard forged crown Shelby fork. There is no known tank for the rainbow version but the frame you have does have a companion tank, specific to the frame, that I have only seen twice on eBay in the last ten years.

WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN??!! :?: :shock: :!:

backpedaler said:
rms37 said:

WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN??!! :?: :shock: :!:

its like those shows that reveal how magic tricks are done, its better off a mystery.

rms37 said:

Amazing! That's some serious knowledge.

Wow, too COOL! :mrgreen:

... I know it wouldn't be correct, but it looks like one of those CWC straight bar frames (as on the luxury liners) would fit in there O.K ...

Regarding what is original and correct for the bike;

Here is a photo of a Shelby with the same frame on the Nostalgic.Net site.

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.php?s=ar ... lyer+1.jpg

Judging by this bike and the available literature the frame, fenders and braces, and the crank and sprocket may all be original and correct for the bike. The headset is a Shelby headset with the very flat outside cup faces. The chain guard is probably an aftermarket accessory and saddle, bars, stem and tires are all modern replacements.

And…

My response was to a question asked so I assume

its like those shows that reveal how magic tricks are done, its better off a mystery.

Is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, believe me, there are plenty of mysteries still available in this hobby.

"HEY ROCKY...WATCH ME PULL A RABBIT OUT OF MY HAT!" :shock:

Back