Need to fill in some holes in my Moultonframe & wheel advice needed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, as per my thread in the build section, I have a Moulton Mini I'm currently stripping down to rat/rod out.

The frame used to have a plastic chainguard, which I have cut off and disguarded. I am now left with three threaded holes in the frame which are now redundant.

Just wondering what method you guys would suggest to fill the holes (for information, the frame is steel)?

Would it be better to have the holes filled with weld then ground down & smoothed over with filler?

A friend of mine has suggested just filling them using an automotive body filler, although my fear is that over time this would shrink/crack and potentially work it's way out.

I'll be having the frame sand blasted to remove all the old dodgy paint, then hopefully having a go at painting it myself come the better weather.

What would you guys do?

Also, just thought I'd piggy-back on this thread instead of opening another. I know this is a mainly American based site, so not sure if anyone can help on this.

Because I have a Moulton Mini, it runs 14" wheels as opposed to the conventional (for a Moulton at least) 16" wheels & mine also happens to be a singlespeed.

Can anyone tell me if I can retro fit 16" wheels to the Mini?

Also, I would very much like to switch to a Coaster Brake so I can remove all brake levers and calipers. I realise this will involve having a wheel made/rebuilt, can anyone advise where to even start hub wise for my Moulton?

I'll be honest I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hubs etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Unless you like sanding, don't sand blast! Use baking soda, crushed walnuts, bead, but no sand, glass or steel. The sand and other aggressive media literally etch/penatrate into the metal, leaving it too rough for paint.
The holes I would just bondo up.

Sorry, I was using "sand blasted" as a general term. The place I use also do powdercoating etc, so I'll make sure nothing too harsh is used. I would even attempt stripping it myself, but fear I would struggle to find anything to take all the old paint off cleanly & completely.

A.V. stripper will get it off, given time and repeat coatings.
Be patient, like days of recoating it, and it will start sluffing off.
If your color is close, you could just scuff what's there.
But if they are different colors scratches will show like mad.

Thanks mikeebikey I think I'll have a go with some Nitro Mors stripper, in no real rush so can provide the patience needed stripping the frame. Plus it means it's one more job in the build I've done myself!!

Bondo could potentially pop out from the holes. I would use JB Weld.

I was hoping to attempt painting the frame myself, not always that enamoured with the finish of powder coating. I might try JB Weld or an equivalent to plug the holes. Either that or I could just leave the holes and fit them with discreet bolts as they aren't extremely visible, although I did quite fancy filling them in.

Putting the screws back in as suggested earlier may solve the problem if you don't mind the look of useless screws in the frame.

You could always just leave the screw holes open and paint the bike. You probably wouldn't ever notice the holes and that way if a future owner wanted to go back with an original style guard they could.

Back