Neighbors Dropping by Unexpectedly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
We haven't seen these neighbors since last fall. We were a little perturbed that they didn't call ahead and just showed up and made themselves at home on the deck (I guess some folks just don't have very good manners :wink: ). I stepped out to see if they wanted to come in but the just turned on their heels and left, very rude! Nevertheless, they all appeared to be healthy after a hard new england winter. The youngsters looked like they had put on some weight and mom was in high spirits even though she has to look after three rambunctious (not so) little ones. It must be hard bing a single mom.

Snapped this photo as they high tailed it up the mountain.

DSCN0625.jpg

Spotted them almost the same way as last fall, we were just finishing dinner, my chair faces the back window. All of a sudden, BEAR IN THE WINDOW (which means on the deck)! The wife's back was to the window but only 3 ft away. I told everyone to be quiet and went for the video camera. The rest of them tip toed around to the window and side door and we watched them for about 10 min as they snooped around. When one of the cubs tipped a trash barrel the all spooked to the edge of the woods (+/- 50ft from the house). I went out the front door to get my camera out of the car. In the meantime they had come back to the back yard and started up the bank. I took my photos which were't the best angle but the wife got really good video out the back picture window.

Mother was probably close to 6ft tall standing and the cubs are all about the size of a big dog. I was surprised how much bigger they were after winter.

Its fun having all the wildlife around for the kids to see (and learn to respect). We've got a turkey we've been seeing all week as well. The land behind our house is 650 acres of conservation land and we are backed right up to some steep ledges with caves etc. I'm sure there are more "interresting" animals out there. The bears dont concern me too much, but the potential for bob cats or mtn lion is a little more sobering with kids that want to explore (no mtn lions seen for a while but the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center down the road from us has a pair).

I went to NH 2 years ago for a customer who used to live in Ohio, they flew me up there and one day he took me out for a walk with his wife and dogs, I guess he was serious when he took a pistol and a can of bear repellant.

You need to leave one of your bicycles out ...Maybe the Bears ex caped from the circus and are looking for a bike to ride..Maybe Not !!! :?

Back