Nel Klunko

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanting to build pseudo-cargo pseudo-klunker to haul groceries and trail-building tools. So far I have a Nel Lusso frame, a 3-speed Nexus hub, and some green primer. Excited to get this one going!

Nel Lusso before.jpg

Good-ish bones!

nel lusso primer.jpg

I really liked the green primer from my last build-off bike.

I'm hoping for the Huffy version of this without the winch:
mel lusso inspiration.png

Everything else is up in the air.

Wanting to build pseudo-cargo pseudo-klunker to haul groceries and trail-building tools. So far I have a Nel Lusso frame, a 3-speed Nexus hub, and some green primer. Excited to get this one going!

View attachment 176744
Good-ish bones!

View attachment 176746

View attachment 176751

Sounds like you've got a good idea for your klunker! Looking forward to seeing what you build!

Wow, sounds like getting the groceries for you is a whole magnitude harder than I imagined ;)

Will you be staying with stock-size wheels, or trying to squeeze in something larger?
I require a lot of food to keep me pedaling through this suburban jungle!

I'm still working out the wheel/tire plan. I've been looking at 24X3, 26x2.5, or 18x2.75 moped tires on 22" rims. With my current budget, the 26" rims are the current frontrunners.

View attachment 176744
Good-ish bones!

View attachment 176746

View attachment 176751

Currently working a Nel Lusso project and I really like the OD green primer with flat black rims and handlebars. Kinda Mad Max tactical, where can I score that green primer in a rattle can? Should I primer the wheels or just shoot them with flat black paint? The handlebars are old but were originally black. I'm thinking strip, sand, primer, and a couple coats of flat black paint? Lastly, should I use matte lacquer or is it necessary?

Currently working a Nel Lusso project and I really like the OD green primer with flat black rims and handlebars. Kinda Mad Max tactical, where can I score that green primer in a rattle can? Should I primer the wheels or just shoot them with flat black paint?
Or you could consider going that cream colour you see on the wheels of Landrovers?

Currently working a Nel Lusso project and I really like the OD green primer with flat black rims and handlebars. Kinda Mad Max tactical, where can I score that green primer in a rattle can? Should I primer the wheels or just shoot them with flat black paint? The handlebars are old but were originally black. I'm thinking strip, sand, primer, and a couple coats of flat black paint? Lastly, should I use matte lacquer or is it necessary?
Rust Oleum Self Etching Primer is the primer in a rattlecan you seek.

Matte/Satin clearcoat makes keeping your bike clean much easier than just a flat paint.

20211207_185932.jpg

KCI is right on the money with the acid etching primer. It lays down very nicely and has a nice matte finish.

I pictured it with my favorite black paint for things like rims and handlebars. The appliance epoxy does great on bare metal and on sanded and clean old paint. It's a semigloss that can polish up or be covered with matte finish.

The trick with the appliance epoxy is to put on one heavy coat and let it dry overnight or longer before applying a second coat if needed. If it's not completely dry, it will wrinkle up when you put a second coat on it. It is a really tough finish that withstands a lot of abuse.

I wish it came in.more colors. You can get black, white, and almond.

Latest posts

Back