Neo-retro kinda-modern roadster build!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, this is my first post here; figured I'd share my last project with the board.

I've always wanted a roadster-style bike, but I really didn't want to pay the $500 for a Linus Roadster Classic [that's an awful lot of money for a singlespeed bike with a coaster-brake], and the ones at BikesDirect didn't really tickle my fancy, so I decided I'd build one. I already had a pretty nice Nitto Young stem, a Lasco SS crankset+BB, bars, saddle, and a plethora of seatposts. I ordered a set of coaster-brake wheels [Weinmann DP18s laced to Shimano CBE110 rear hub and Quando front hub] for $189 on Velomine.com... Of course, I still had no frame, but that's the easy bit.

One day, while commuting home from work, I saw a rusty old ten-speed missing its wheels, sitting by the curb on trash day, with a sign that said "free"... so I busted out my bungees, and strapped it to my rear rack, and rode the rest of the 10 miles back home. All of the components were rusted solid, but the frame was in good shape. I pulled off all of the components, gave the frame a cleaning, and boom! all of the parts went on easy-peasy, and I even had a seatpost that fit. the tires are some older Specialized Nimbus 38c's, and the saddle is a $9 one from walmart. The post and saddle will be upgraded to at some point, I'm thinking a Brooks Flyer or similar. this bike is on the backburner at the moment because we currently have 115" of snow outside...

The frame is really nothing-special, just a high-tensile Shogun 200... But it is lugged steel and it rides nicely. The paint is in pretty decent shape, only a few scratches here and there. It's a nice gunmetal-blue with sparkles/flakes in it. This bike really rides smooth and it handles well.

For under $200, I have another bike in my stable, and it's bike that I am happy with and looks/rides nicely!

WX9Exn9.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself, and see if anyone has any similar bikes!

Welcome! very nice bike! my kind of style .. you can look up "Skinny tire cruiser" thread for more bikes of this style

Back