Never too old for a Big Wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tell you all there is a revolution about to take place, we will all be building or buying some type of adult big wheel type rig some time in '09.

The cause of this madness? The Nitro Circus on MTV. Travis Pastrana and company are using a Trek model to perform some insane stunts and there have been some by Huffy, Razor and Yerf Dog in recent years. I think Dan at iRide could build the ultimate version if we can talk him into it.

The all seem to have an inflatable front tire with v brakes on the rim and hard plastic rear wheels so you can drift them.

Pastrana is pretty tall so I think most any of us could fit on the Trek version, but it retails for a whopping $189.

Here are a few links to check them out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxIQHOx-K2s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOws0TV ... re=related

After you view them check back in and lets us all know if you can resist this insanity.

62H

I caught that epsode of Nitro Circus. You gotta have pretty big stones to backflip a big wheel off of a mega ramp :shock: INSANE :!:

Nitro Circus - Equal parts X Games and Jack@ss.

so, that was fun. now how do you get one of those to freewheel, that would be interesting. anybody know?

Outlaw

BWBO 2009 Great idea! Video required of it doing a drift session too. Or a backflip! :shock:

I wish I knew how to weld...

I was thinking that you don't really need cranks, gravity trikes are way easier to build than tracking down one of those freewheeling trike front wheel/fork set ups. Just put freestyle pegs on the front axle.

Yes, there are 3 or 4 with that freewheel set up. I will be scouring garage sales for one this spring/summer. For now I figure it is easier and cheaper to go the gravity route w/ no cranks.

Fast Eddie, go for it, break the seal on this one and get everybody motivated!

For real fun you can put casters on the rear instead of regular wheels...

i have a schwinn stingray scooter that now has a 20" wheel on it, and ill finish putting together the double crowns this weekend, they were put on wrong at the factory. the key to being able to drift like these guys did in the video is having plastic rear wheels, i have no idea where to get those, i was thinking maybe hard and small skateboard wheels would drift pretty easy to..
any ideas anyone? i also need a good seat for it, may have to hit the thrift stores this weekend!!!
fast eddie

Not sure about a good source for the wheels, maybe an actual old school big wheel or Scream Machine. Perhaps even a Little Tikes car or a Power Wheels vehicle.

You're absolutely right about needing those to make a good drifter. I would be afraid of anything with too small a diameter like skate board or scooter wheels. I think they would catch seams and edges too easily and flip you or just shear off.

I think a lawn tractor seat would work out well and be easy enough to find for that part of the project.

Outlaw,

IDK how to build a freewheel for one, so my current plan is to build a gravity version until I can find a used one with the freewheel set up already on it.

According to Target's website they have some coming in soon:

http://www.target.com/Toymonster-Street ... cle&page=6

Fast Eddie how's yours coming along? Aren't you done yet? :mrgreen:

I saw a shelf full of plastic wheels for these things at my local KMart last week. Obviously, being plastic, they must wear out, so replacements are available. Look in the bicycle/toy section of your local Wal/K Mart, Target etc.

I converted a kids trike to a freewheel by using one-way bearings (readily available from most bearing supply places) in the crank, so it would be easy to do if you wanted to buy new bearings. Otherwise, look around at your local junkyard or yard sales for one of the 20" wheel versions to use for parts.

[email protected] try this site guys, i met this guy in colorado during the tour de fat. he goes by Captain Obvious, they do races and pubcrawls on bigwheels. "Lets race" im in.

Back