New Build - Gas Saver; Purse Breaker.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this frame/fork for almost 10 years now. My original plan was to completely restore it, but that hasn't (nor will it ever) happen. With gas over $4 a gallon, I decided that I might as well finish it, and make a fantastic commuter bike (which I've always wanted). I've collected most of the parts I've needed, and I'm buying the last few now.

I need ideas for paint though. The orange fork was from when I thought it was going to be orange with red darting and black pinstriping. I sprayed the frame red later on (was going to go for red and silver like an aerocycle), but I don't like that either. Any thoughts? Maybe a Medium dark brown, with black darts, and cream pinstriping?

I'm lacing the wheels to a Shimano Nexus 8 coaster, and a Sturmey Archer XF-DD (Drum Brake Dynamo hub), and the bike may have either white, or black tires, depending on what I decide. The wheels you see are not going to be the final wheels, that will be my one surprise.

FlyingStar.jpg

It looks like you want to keep things somewhat classical looking,.....and I'm a sucker for creams.

I saw an episode of Overhaulin recently where Chip Foose redid a VW bus in a sublime white and red combo.

I think a cream and mocha brown or brick red would work just as well for a VW or a bike.

Yeah, it can't be a true restoration because I don't have any documentation on what it actually looked like, and I want a couple of modern components to help me compete with the hills in Cincinnati. But I still want it to look like a plausible 1920s bike.

Well,

I've made a bit of progress on the bike. The red is was another intermediary paint trial, which I don't like. I found the black rims w/ gold pinstripe, and I think the bike will wear the same black/gold paint. The rims are laced to a Sturmey Archer XF-DD (Drum Brake w/ Dynamo) in the front and a Shimano Nexus SG-8C31 (8sp coaster brake hub) in the rear. I built it with DT Swiss SS Double Butted Spokes. The rims are roadster rims (28x1 1/2) and are slightly larger than the originals. I'm thinking about having it powdercoated. But can I paint pinstripes on it if I have it powdercoated? I want something VERY durable as it will get a lot of use. Thoughts? Or anyone know a good Cincinnati painter?

Wes

DSC_1995.jpg

DSC_1997.jpg

Swweett ride!!!! I think you can pinstripe over powder coat no problem ,I don't see why not...

With respect to powdercoating...powder is polyester. The powder doesn't always react well to over-coats with high solvent content like lacquer and some urethanes, but it's fine with enamels. One Shot is the most common striping paint, it's enamel and inert, as far as powdercoating is concerned, or virtually any topcoat (paint). You're good.

That bike demands white tires. That being said, I think it needs to be a color on the darker side of the spectrum, to accentuate how well those fenders "cloak" the tires.

I envy you. Not the beating your savings account is taking, but that thing is sublime.

Looks great so far , u can pinstripe over powdercoating no problem . Also i know a lot of people here like rattle can paint but if u use automotive paint it will be much more durable because of the hardner added to the paint when mixing , rattle can does not have hardner added to it , making it less durable and more time consuming due to drying time. if u use a good epoxy primer and automotive paint the final results will be much more durable then rattle can but will be a little more costly .Powder coating will be the most durable of all.

Awesome frame! I´ll love to see what you do in this build, I need color combo ideas for a "similar" build I have to finish...

I think gold pinstripes/accents are a must.
As for colors, have you considered maroon or burgundy?
Green and gold would also be pretty.
You could also do a low luster black finish (think old Singer sewing machine)
Put some brass or copper goodies on there too, and nickel plating rather
than chrome.

Beautiful bike; I'd love to fix up something like that.

Back