New Chopper build started today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing work. Can't wait to see those joints in use............GOD I wish I could weld!

Stika said:
Amazing work. Can't wait to see those joints in use............GOD I wish I could weld!

All it takes is a desire to learn, so many junior colleges offer industrial arts classes to the general public. You don't have to spend outrageous amounts to register or even get a degree. They provide all the equipment and you pick up a skill that will last you a lifetime.

Just a suggestion, later Travis

Stika said:
You CAN weld! All it takes is practice, like Travis said...Save up some $$, buy a welder and have at it!! You can buy a top-of-the-line Miller wire welder, with a gas bottle...that will run on 110v, for around $800 brand new...Yes you CAN weld!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. You are both right. Which type do think is the easiest for a novice? Sorry if I'm thread jacking.

Updates!

I got a lot done today on Pee Wee's Boozer Cruiser! Its really coming along quite nicely. I still have a few items left to weld on and parts to finish but I think I'm on the home stretch. The wide glide springer fork is close to being finished and I got the jockey shifter mounted for the 3-speed.

2l9mhwi.jpg

2vdgzd3.jpg

etxjzr.jpg

5etyma.jpg

2qmopab.jpg

25qrxg7.jpg

314qwpc.jpg

mm3jma.jpg

240x3sn.jpg

dc62o0.jpg

Very Nice!! I'm loving that wide glide fork, is that the 80mm rim up front? And that fender look good on there, it the perfect fit for that tire. I'll have to find two of those fender for my trike.

Alright the fender might give you trouble finding even one. That is a front fender off a 1975 Norton 750 Commando, and yes it was almost a perfect fit. I had to shorten it about 4 inches, trim the stock fork mounts down to one hole per side and make some new struts which aren't in the pictures yet.

Yep my primary business is building motorcycles, been doing that since 1996. I built my first cruiser bicycle back around 1999-2000 I can't remember exactly when. Everyone that saw my first kept asking me to make them one, and there it began. This bike is #29 or #30 I think, I'll have to go back and look at my picture files. I don't have pictures of most of them, I've had a computer or two crash since 1999 so I've lost a lot of pictures of stuff I've built.

The front wheel is a 26X3 and the tire is 26X2.35 Fat Frank. At first I was concerned it would look bad but now I'm stoked at how perfect it looks. We had a hard time deciding on that tire. It was a toss up between the Surly Endomorph 3.7, the Fat Frank 26X2.35 and a Felt Quick Brick 26X2.125. The Surly was way too expensive at almost $100 and quite frankly too big as well. The Fat Frank was the perfect choice.

I showed the progress picture to Pee Wee last night and he hated the stock jockey shifter so that one is coming off and getting moved down the tube a bit lower under the seat. I've got some ideas I'm going to work on. I'm thinking of using an old RD350 rod and piston (I've got a bunch of them laying around) how cool would that be? Or something like that we'll see.

Later T

Thanks Dan. Its really not as hard as it looks. A good jig is an absolute necessity. Check you local trade schools and take a class, a lot of schools offer weekend welding classes. Sure you could just buy a welder and have at it, but I'd suggest some proper training to shorten your learning curve.

Later T

That's not a stock Norton fender, not even close. The stocker is made from Stainless and is considerably longer. And the fork leg bolt spacing is different.
Nice try though. Funny thing is I used to ride my 75 Norton Commando with those guys when I lived in Denver. I had completely forgotten about them till just now.

Later T

IronSpadeCycles said:
I'm thinking of using an old RD350 rod and piston (I've got a bunch of them laying around) how cool would that be? Or something like that we'll see.

Later T

+1 for custom shifter would like to see that would definitely look 100% on the stock item IMHO. My mate raced a heavily modified
RD350 back in the 80's went like a shower of .... sadly we are slowly
seeing the death of the two stroke...

KiM

Not on my watch! I vow to help keep as many 2-stroke road bikes out of junkyards and landfills! I'm currently sitting on 3 RD350's, an RD400, a Suzuki GT550, GT750 water buffalo and about enough engine parts for all six bikes to build another 10 engines. I've also got 5 vintage 80's 2-stroke motocross bikes in my collection. I'm not even going to tell you about my vintage kart collection.

Well yes I am. :mrgreen:

A 1979 Van-K twin engine laydown enduro race kart with twin TKM 100cc engines (as it appeared in 1980),
161nqtw.jpg

a 1969 Hartman twin engine sprint kart with matched McCulloch MC101's (125cc each),
c0xvq.jpg

a 1968 Margay single engine laydown enduro with a McCulloch MC91B 100cc,
288ccpk.jpg

and a really rare Italian made 1970 Zip-Kart Formula 250 shifter kart with a race kitted Yamaha RD250 squeezed in the side.

107732d.jpg

161dauh.jpg

I've also got about 20 spare McCulloch kart engines as they went out of business back in the 90's and I started stockpiling parts back then. I'm such a pack rat!

Later T

Nice 'collection' their Travis ...Howz the bike builds going haven't seen an update on either for awhile must be nearly finished by now no? VERY keen to see how well the forks turned out, i was a lil concerned about the amount of lock available.

Look forward to seeing them complete anywayz bud as im sure the customers are ;-)

OH..not sure if it was this thread or your other you mentioned finding components other than from ChoppersUS i would be VERY VERY interested to hear what you come up with, would happily buy from you if you can source the parts Trav, Alan annoyed me a lil last order with the 30% sale, i ordered my parts on the day but because the PayPal didnt go through that day (i have no CC and it takes 5-7 days and Alan is well aware of this) he denied me the 30% discount. I have bought ALOT of gear from Alan ALWAYS sung the praises of ChoppersUS advertised his website on my vids and website and he didn't make an exception sort of pissed me off no reward for loyalty, guess he thinks he has a monopoly, was saving of 66 bucks which isn't alot too most but it is too me. As a result he wont be getting anymore of my money I wont be buying from there again i have found a local place that sells most of the gear I need they have ALL the OCC Schwinn chopper parts wide rims and tires etc...just didnt have the 3 speed hub i was after.

KiM

Well its not much of an update but I made a new jockey shift lever today. I wasn't pleased with the stock one and neither was Pee Wee. It just looked so out of place so I dug through my scrap parts bin and came up with an old RD400 piston that had run its usable life. I made the "lever" out of some .500" X 2" 6061-T6 bar stock I had laying around. I want it to look a bit like a beefy connecting rod but at the same time I didn't want the piston to wobble like it would on a real con rod. I'm not really finished with it yet but I just had to take some progress shots of it. I think its working out so far.

Here is the stock Sturmey Archer 3-speed lever which I really didn't like:

240x3sn.jpg

And here is the new piston/conrod lever.

28akyfr.jpg

zum98k.jpg

2196lq8.jpg

What do you guys think?

Later Travis

Back