New Departure Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sniffing around the forum trying to find an answer without success. So before I waste any more time, can someone tell me if:

A New Departure hub should be completely smooth in operation? Should it seamlessly switch between power, coast, and breaking without ANY clunking, or is there always going to be some kerfuffle as it changes function? Should I be expecting a silky smooth magic carpet ride, or something a little more agricultural?

From my experience there shouldn't be any clunking to a ND D hub that has all the parts in good condition.
Problems transitioning from brake to power: worn retarder spring is often the culprit.
Have seen the ears on the brake discs misshapen. This could cause the brake to release suddenly and not smoothly I suppose.

Yes it should be quiet and seamless. You are probably feeling the serrated driving cone engage and release from the hub shell. First question forever and always; has it been thoroughly cleaned and properly re-lubed?

The only time I had this phenomonon was after I tried to upgrade a hub by installing later less worn parts... didn't turn out well. Once I retreived and re-installed the original parts - silence!

I agree with the others, it should be nice and smooth. It is always recommended to replace the transfer spring when the hub is disassembled for servicing. I have the springs, so if you need one, pm me your US postal address and I'll see that you receive a spring.

The hub was completely dismantled and cleaned by me when I first got the bike last month. I never tried it before doing so, because it was very old and unlubricated and i didn't want to grind it. then I reassembled it with grease/oil as advised elsewhere on this forum. So I don't know if it was ever OK.
The "clunk" comes when I stop pedaling and let it coast. There's an immediate clunk and then it's fine.

Crassly you're very kind to offer a replacement spring, but I'm in the UK! The components all looked good when I was servicing it, but then again I've never seen one before and have nothing to compare it to. I couldn't believe that you could stop a grown man on a cycle going down hill just by the friction of those small plates right by the centre of the hub. The leverage must be phenomenal.

I don't see what the transfer spring actually does, or how it can "wear out". Does it lose its grip on the groove it locates in?

two dogs running said:
...The "clunk" comes when I stop pedaling and let it coast. There's an immediate clunk and then it's fine....
quote]

You describe exactly what mine did. I don't think the transfer spring plays a role here. For whatever reason the serrated driving cone gets snuggled into its engagement with the inside of the hub shell and makes this pop when it must pull loose. Try swapping out the part I am (sort of) describing. Use a heavy grease on this mating surface.

Dougfisk, that sounds like a plan. I did note that the serrated 'splines' of that cone were a little polished as compared to the rest of the component when I was stripping it down. So I can't work out if it's designed to grip or slip. I'm thinking of emery papering the shine off it AND greasing it as you suggest, too. But that sounds like contradictory sorts of things to do, doesn't it?

When you greased yours did it cure the problem?

two dogs running said:
Dougfisk, that sounds like a plan. I did note that the serrated 'splines' of that cone were a little polished as compared to the rest of the component when I was stripping it down. So I can't work out if it's designed to grip or slip. I'm thinking of emery papering the shine off it AND greasing it as you suggest, too. But that sounds like contradictory sorts of things to do, doesn't it?

When you greased yours did it cure the problem?

This won't give you much hope but: Mine started when I swapped the part for a "better" one and ended when I put the original back!

Do you have access to any spares or extras that you can rob at least temporarilly to prove out the diagnosis? If not, I would try what you are contemplating.

Update for the records:
Crassly (bless him) sent me a new transfer spring, as well as the two serrated components associated with it. (Cone?). After I swapped them with the existing ones in the hub, I went for a ride and it was b-e-a-utiful. Completely cured. So I don't know if it was purely the transfer spring as Crassly suggested, or a worn cone but the problem is cured. Happy days.

...I did note that the serrated 'splines' of that cone were a little polished as compared to the rest of the component when I was stripping it down. So I can't work out if it's designed to grip or slip...

It is designed to bite into or grip the hub sell. That grip is all that connects your method of propulsion to the wheel, tire, and road. The better part (D-3) was your cure. I probably call it a serrated driving cone, while ND calls it a "clutch sleeve".

Back