New Departure Model D Hub help...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Departure Model D Hub help...

Does anyone know how to restore the braking power to these hubs? Mine takes forever to stop. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Art

Time for a rebuild!

The bronze brake disc will get a glaze built up over time. After you have cleaned the grease from the discs, remove the glaze by polishing the discs on a whetstone (sharpening stone for knives). You just need to get rid of the dull coat on the discs. When you put the hub back together use non-detergent 30 wt oil on the disc pack, not grease. Use grease on the drivers and bearings though.

Udalls info is good but you could have other problems as well. On the drive side of the hub there is an adjustable bearing cone with a lock nut. If the lock nut is loose or missing the cone can back out and you won't have any brakes. Check this before you tear down the whole thing. Gary

Rebuilding one is so simple that you should probably do it anyway. I try to rebuild mine before it gets to the point that I'm having trouble stopping. Like posted above, it's not like you have to replace anything, just clean and maintain what is already there.

B607 said:
Udalls info is good but you could have other problems as well. On the drive side of the hub there is an adjustable bearing cone with a lock nut. If the lock nut is loose or missing the cone can back out and you won't have any brakes. Check this before you tear down the whole thing. Gary

Thanks, Gary. I always forget to check the easy stuff first. :oops:

Finally got the wheel taken apart and relaced my freshly cleaned hub again. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help guys. I guess you can't underestimate a good cleaning. It's like night and day.

Took the hub apart and let every bit soak in Simple Green for two days (which pretty much did all the work). Pulled them all out and gave them a quick brush. Then re-greased and oiled in proper locations. That was it!

gottahavit said:
Took the hub apart and let every bit soak in Simple Green for two days (which pretty much did all the work). Pulled them all out and gave them a quick brush. Then re-greased and oiled in proper locations. That was it!

That stuff works wonders doesn't it?
Thats exactly how I did mine :D :D

Back