New departure model d hub issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi new guy here. I pulled apart my first new departure hub yesterday and cleaned her all up and put it back together with seemingly no problem. Thanks you tube. Only problem was that I couldn’t get it to break consistently. It would freewheel and and sometimes catch sometimes not. Took it apart 3 times now and all I can figure is the spring is shot. Looks like it’s missing material. Am I on point? This is on a very
cool Iver Johnson that I picked up at an auction that I can’t wait to get on the road

Welcome to the forum. You might consider placing this query in the 'How-To' section to get a faster response. I'm no expert on coasters, but I believe proper lubricant selection plays a huge role in establishing consistent results.

Welcome to the forum. You might consider placing this query in the 'How-To' section to get a faster response. I'm no expert on coasters, but I believe proper lubricant selection plays a huge role in establishing consistent results.
Just did that 👍

I actually sussed out the problem. The retainer clip was missing just enough material to no longer catch consistently. Found some nos on the eBay’s and whammy she rolls again! Also got som nos brake discs while I was there. If only I hadn’t snapped the chain on the maiden voyage

Attachments

• 70940647328__B9702454-A6DC-455D-B949-99FD06DFFD40.jpeg
    70940647328__B9702454-A6DC-455D-B949-99FD06DFFD40.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
This actually begs a question: Could a skip-tooth chain be 'revitalized' by replacing worn pins and rollers with parts cannibalized from a modern 1/8" chain? Has anyone even tried?

Latest posts

Back