New Departure Servicing/rebuild advice? (Also what model do I have?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a '54 Schwinn Spitfire this past weekend, Rear hub is a New Departure and I believe it's the "Model A" or the "Model C" variant, going by Sheldon Brown's website. The hub shell has a cylindrical shape and the same oil/grease port like the Model C but it's got the Brake arm style text of the Model A.

I only know New Departure hubs have a stack of discs like a clutch as a brake, instead of the more common place coaster hub with the screw and brake shoes. Are these harder/easier to work on?

To the issue:

It was "stuck" when I got it, lifted the cover of the grease/oil port on the hub and sprayed some WD into it. Loosened up a bit but it felt it was still dragging. Rode it for a bit and it just ended up slipping after a ride around the block.

20230508_145412.jpg

new-departure-a.jpg
new-departure-c.jpg

If its original to the bike it is most likely a model C. Check out YouTube for videos on how to pull it down and rebuild. Quite easy. The discs need to lightly sanded with 400, then 800. Oil each disc lightly with 30 weight oil as well as the grooves in the hub. Align the tabs on the discs and slide into the hub. The bearings get grease as well as the driver and brake clutch I believe. Double check on YouTube. Very decent hub once overhauled.

I would not have put WD40 in the port, I would have put 30w oil. It needs a rebuild like JA331 posted above. It's a very gratifying job. Those are great hubs.

It should be stamped which model it is on the middle of the hub. My 53 Roadmaster had a model D and has the stamping.

Last edited:
If its original to the bike it is most likely a model C. Check out YouTube for videos on how to pull it down and rebuild. Quite easy. The discs need to lightly sanded with 400, then 800. Oil each disc lightly with 30 weight oil as well as the grooves in the hub. Align the tabs on the discs and slide into the hub. The bearings get grease as well as the driver and brake clutch I believe. Double check on YouTube. Very decent hub once overhauled.

Bit of a follow up. What type of 30w oil? at the time of rebuilding all I had was some 15w30 engine oil that I used on the discs.

I am noticing some squeaks after long brake intervals, like going down some of the hills in my area. So, Maybe I should just pull the clutch out and get some heavier oil for it? Also seen some old posts on the CABE that someone used 90w gear oil.

Latest posts

Back