new family member gets a make over

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big Daddy,myself and the rest of the people of the cal-de-sac were having a garage sale today when a guy had noticed some of our bikes. He began by telling me about some old bikes that he had, two in particular he said looked just like the old motor cross bikes!

Oh really I said :D :shock: do tell!

better yet! I'll go get them and you can have them for 10 bucks.

so he came back with this one

IMG_1159.jpg

It is real ruff and I do mean ruff! the rims are rusted out

he said he could not find the other right now but by his discription it may be just like the Moto X Kev had picked up some time back.

Only time will tell! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

He told me that he would bring it by along with any other bike stuff as he cleans out his garage

Question is, is it worth restoring....I'm not even sure it the bike holds any value....but it sure is cool! :D

resto it!!!not factory fresh or anything like that just to nice rideable and show off able stage...no show awards required...

Yeah, not a nut-and-bolt restoration, more like resto-rod/mild custom would suit this one. No cutting, and keep most of the standard bits, but customise it a bit. You should be able to work wonders with that seat, and it needs some BIG apes! Is it 16 or 20 inch?

Woah, that's cool!

Amazingly, some of those old Motomag and 70's style dirtbike type bicycles do bring some value sometimes. I'd post pics of that on Vintagebmx.com and see if some of those guys could perhaps shed some light as to value or etc.

Definately cool......

It is a 16" but man is it cool...... I just keep laughin when I look at it. today I'll give it a bath and start a hunt for some tires and rims.

A mild resto it will be. I should be able to something with the seat today aswell, but I will keep it stock...or is there some cool ideas out there? speak up! I love to hear

the kids want to ride it real bad :D :lol:

well I went out to the recyle place and found two bikes for parts. Did not take much time to take off what I needed

IMG_1167.jpg

I needed the 3 pce drive set from one and the 16" rims and tires from the other....Big Daddy has an Idea for the 12" rims+tires but would only give me a hint for what :D ......only time will tell

I know you guys said mild resto but..........well one bolt turned into two than three...well you get the picture. So everything went into the sand blaster

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

everything then was hit with red oxide primer and later back to its original colours

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

if the sun comes out tomorrow I'll get some better shots, As it turns out chev orange was a perfect match :D

As for the seat Ill do a tec post on it

To be honest, I'm glad that you've decided to bring it back to original condition. These kinds of bikes are really really hard to come by..... it'll be a definate conversation piece when completed :D

Dude your awsome, You need 2 get some FAT knobbys tires for it and chrome rims, I like that bike, You gonna make a custom seat?

Your Nuts Man! :mrgreen:

Buy that I mean "Balls to The Wall!" ..no messing around.

It's looking Great Mur,
I near had a Turd when I walked up and saw it The Other Day.
I would keep it Dirt Bike Looking.
Knobie Tires for sure!

Kev.

Lol i remember the toys called "CoolTools" they were so cool.

LOL you guys are great! and yes Rick "cool tools" were real cool!

I was not sure as to were to do the build of the seat...here or the how to forum? So I will do it here I guess

the seat pan was pretty bad and I almost made a new one but it will still work well with this build.

after blasting it, I primed/Painted it

IMG_1207.jpg

I than added 1/4 inch foam. this will help the material lay nice!

IMG_1208.jpg

and for a little more comfort I added another 1" of high density foam and than shapped it using angle grinder with a sanding pad, this also will help the material to lay nice and give some comfort.

IMG_1212.jpg

Here is the problem.......what to do on it? After doing some back ground on the bike, it turns out it's about 27 to 30 yrs old and since the tank and the fenders are still in one pice than the bike dose hold some value. So by doing the seat original would be best.......however a custom seat would be real cool. There is so much room to do something.

what is your guys take on this....love to hear your input!

Murray

on the seat ... heres my thought if you are planning to off this thing for a profit right away the go OG .. but if its going to be yours make it they way you want do your magic ... plus i bet you could redo it if it came time to sell the bike anyway right?

Go ahead and custom the seat put a 7 speed hub on it, and let it be one bad little bike. If they would of had all the cool stuff in the 1970's we have today, would that bike be a single speed? Build it enjoy it, unless you are worried about the value of free.

Back