new find from today...told it was a Schwinn- don't think so

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been looking for an inexpensive project for my son and I came across this today. I picked it up cause it was cheap and figured regardless of brand, I could likely put something half way decent together for him with it. Does anyone out there know what it might be? It has the misfortune of having the Schwinn seat added to it, so the clerk sold it to me as a "Schwinn". I'm pretty certain it's not, so I'm looking for help with IDing this one. 26" frame and wheels. Tires are 26x1.75 (another clue it's not a Schwinn as they are not 1 3/4"). No head badge. Serial No. OC160896 (I'm assuming the first digit is a "O" and not a zero). Thanks much in advance with any help anyone can offer!

Jay H.

greenframe1.jpeg

greenframe2.jpeg

greenframe3.jpeg

greenframe4.jpeg

Schwinn would have been braised and smooth, not welded, fork would not have a flat across crown it would be more of a smooth rounded bend, would have a built in kickstand barrel, and the chain wheel would be different. looks like a huffy, western flyer, or something similar.

LOL! Thanks all for the help! Best guess based on help here, research and serial number I'm pretty convinced it's a '60 Huffy. Regardless...it's gonna be a road worthy rat soon! Thanks again,

Jay H.

I was guessing Huffy too. Definitely not Schwinn though.
You have to remember, to so many people, any old bike is a Schwinn.

Kingfish, you're absolutely right. Almost to the point of calling old bikes Schwinns like we call facial tissues "Kleenex". With that said though, in the clerks defense, it does have an "S" Schwinn seat on it, and the frame is a dead ringer for a Schwinn frame to the uninitiated. No worries, it'll fix up just fine!

Jay H.

You're right. It's funny how people will key off of one thing. I have seen craigslist ads for Shimano or Tektro bikes. :mrgreen:

Back