New From Michigan. Starting a trike project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm Brian and I'm starting a trike project.
Here are my goals:
1. Make a cool bike I can really ride. (reliable).
2. Make it unique.
3. Add power (electric assist).
4. Under $100 total investment.
5. Seat for kids.
6. space for a small cooler.
7. trailer hitch to pull Burley trailer.

I'm starting with a trike that was taken out of service at the Chrysler Warren Truck Assembly Plant. It was used by an electrician and has logged at least 956 miles in the plant (there's an odometer). It came with a heavy steel toolbox added to the Sears & Roebuck women's frame. I got the 1930 or 40's Hawthorne 26" frame from a guy on the Detroit Craigslist. That's about it, I've disassembled everything and started sanding/cleaning. what do you think? Anyone need a skip tooth sprocket and crank?
this is the link I'm using to track the project. I suck at posting photos on in my posts...
http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/proj ... 02,00.html

Can't wait to see this painted, Brian!!! (thought i'd post it for ya!) and with a trailer,too!?!?!?!? WOW!!!!
8473.jpg

Welcome aboard!

To Cropduster, thank you for posting the pic...I will learn next time, I promise.

I live just north of Detroit, in Shelby Township...I've seen a few other members are from Michigan...glad I'm not alone. The wife thinks I'm crazy.

Has anyone been worried about sanding on a bike that was made before there was concern for lead based paints? I guess I shouldn't worry when I've sprayed lacquer without a respirator...

Thank you guys for all of the encouragement. I'll hit this project hard and post progress reports. black frame, red wheels, and some pretty sweet add-ons (you'll see) are in the works!

Back