New from ohio.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally ride the same 20 inch i built in highschool (01-05), but with my knee getting worse i decided i wanted a cruiser but seen the crazy money some of them sell for so i ended up finding a pair of his and hers 75 western flyer 5 speeds. The lady beleived they were 75's, her and her husband bought them new (co workers mom owned them). hers will stay the original green with just a clean up because its in good shape. Im a grease monkey by trade and my fair weather daily driver is a 78 zephyr wagon so i wanted something older that i can make mine that isnt worth much. Mostly just joined to browse the builds here because this was kind of my plan before i knew it was even cool. I think thats enough of a book, but ill mostly be Lurking since i dont know much about older bicycles.

forgot pictures. the cruisers

the normal ride

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
From Ohio myself, there's a few of us.
Poke around the site and you'll learn about old bikes, I didn't know much when I got here and I'm still learning. But I can spot some good stuff in a crowd now.

i think i like the fork on it, just kind of messing around wth it while i hunt for a yardsale 26in mountain bike, all my leftover mountain bike rims are bent!

Dont feel like its worth a full on build thread but heres how it sits now thanks to a 10 dollar roadmaster.

Need to put a chain on, change front wheels because it doesnt really need a disk brake hub on a fork that wont clear it. Probably going to hack the rear fender up a bit to get it on then just look for a rear rack of some kind. Derailer adjustment should be a fun time!

still needs a rear fender and some final adjustments but i rode it around for about 20 minutes today adjusting the derailer. Got home a few hours later and the rear tube decided it was done. so ill have to buy a tube and figure out exactly why this one died sitting in my garage for 3 hours.

Can someone point me towards a how too on how too adjust these old derailers. It doesnt adjust via the screws like my more modern bike.

Been riding it, kind of worked out the derailer adjustment via trial and error. ill get a photo tomorrow to make sure im doing it correctly. needs a few changes but it rides great and the bad knee seems to like the seating position.

Im definatly mechanically inclined but the r+d done on some of these bike parts is ins
Got some help.

so now were here.

Still unsure exactly what i want to do, i did figure out using some old 26in mountain bike rims that i can fit a 2.0 tire. thats a plus for me!
Man looks like you need a pair of mini rat cycles to keep those two entertained... have no idea how many times i painted my first bikes..
Also about that age i desided to try and see what the threaded part on spokes did..
Dude at the lbs was not impressed..if i remember correct he was fuming as to why i would ever even mess with them..
I told him they moved but i didnt see anything happen so i just kept going. And walked back.
2 days later i picked it up.
And thats the story of how i ended up with one plastic mag.

I havent had the guts to try spole a rim scence then... i fear dissapointing that lbs guy... him looking down on me shaking his head, like "why?! Again?! #!%$"

current direction im going with the fender, didnt have any flat black handy so i went with ford blue engine enamel over primer, likely the most exspensive can of paint ive used for an experiment. now just need too rust it and paint the uprights black. wanted too experiment with some color and some rusting on the fender before trying the frame since ive spent most of my adult life getting rid of rust!

Latest posts

Back