new from uk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I've been looking around these forums for a little while. I've been doing some research into electra bikes....I'm thinking of getting either a sparker special or a straight 8. Gotta see them in the flesh to decide i think! Any thoughts on how they cope with hills with the 3 speed? Would I be able to put an 8 speed coaster hub in place of the 3 speed? Sorry for the newbie questions, i've never had a bike like this before!

Looking forward to it anyway! I've been getting very jealous looking at the pics in the galleries, there's some awesome rides kicking around!

jon

Welcome Jon!

The 3 speed coasters are a pretty well balanced hub. I guess it all depends on how steep of hills you're talking about.

Once you see a Sparker in person you'll probably be hooked. :wink:

firstly, hello from a fellow uk member!
i have single speed bikes and find them ok over here and i live in the countryside (ish) i have a sturmey archer 3 speed and my mate has a three speed electra. his electra is a pain as the ratios are not spaced systematically. first is a little high, and second is only just up from there, then last is a long way off. i would suggest that three is the highest you need, but if a single comes up at the right price, you will get used to it. the rear sprockets are the same as SA ones so there is alot of different ones available. good luck, whatever you choose to do.

Hi, thanks for the welcome!

Whatever I decide to get, I'll stick with the 3 speed to start with, it may well be enough, and the 8 speed nexus is quite expensive on its own! Maybe I'll have a look at other 3 speeds if the nexus ratios are a bit strange. Thanks for that!
Marcusthemoose, I've just applied for a job in dorchester, so although i don't want to start counting chickens just yet, I might be in dorset pretty soon! Any good Electra bike shops around the area that you know of? The only ones I've found on the net are in Manchester and Southend! But, like I said, can't bank on anything just yet....need to get the job first!

think I'm swaying towards the sparker over the straight 8 at the moment, hope I can find the silver one with blue rims....it looks sweet!

there used to be a dealer in salisbury, wilts. called stonehenge cycles, but i don't know if they still are. the best cruiser dealer around dorset i know of by far is "on yer bike" in charminster, bournemouth. there is a bicycle shop in dorchester, but i can't remember what it is called- the bloke is a little odd, and deals in unusual bikes. last time i went there he had a Dyno coaster roadster bike he had apparently imported from the states for his son. he was reluctant to part with it but it had apparently been in the window 10+ years. might be worth a look whilst you're exploring.
good luck with the job- its a lovely county if you can put put up with the old people.

Hello there!

If you know what bike you're after then these guys are pretty good... www.reidelow.co.uk ...they seem to stock loads of Electra bikes.

well it's taken a while, but I've ordered a silver sparker, massive sale on at chain reaction cycles at the moment, so it was £399 instead of £549!!! Bargain or what!!!

Can't wait to get it now! I'll post some photos when it's here!

Back