New guy from NW Florida.... did I get a good deal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a frame for my first build, 1956 AMF Roadmaster,http://www.ebay.com/itm/221115919209?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 I believe it was from the "pleasure liner" model like the one below
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=61940&p=600651&hilit=roadmaster#p600651. So for just under 100 bucks I got something to start with at least. I know I will catch some ribbing for this but I would like to build a board track racer outof it. How do I remove the head badge and what is the best way to keep the other decal intact. Also why do you think the seat post is still lodged in the frame? Thats probably enough stupid new guy questions for now. Thanks in advance,

Josh

Thats a cool start.
It looks like the badge is rivited on so your best option is to use a flat head screw driver an pop the rivits from the inside.
As far as the seat post... it looks like its one of those ones that tightens in there with a bolt (similar to a stem) did you try loosing the bolt?

I'd say that's a great start, a 50's frame in good condition. And it's a Roadmaster frame. Like highship said, the seat stem is like a handlebar stem, loosen the 1/2 bolt on top a little and tap with a hammer to loosen it. There's a wedge attached to the bolt at the bottom.

For a 56, the paint looks good, and black is easy to touch up. The original decals might rub off with too much scrubbing, so I would suggest a light cleaning and a couple coats of car wax to bring them out and protect them. I'd also leave the headbadge on there and just clean it up too.

And welcome to the forum, I lived out there in NW Fl back in the late 80's stationed at Whiting Field near Milton.

Thanks for the replies about the seat post, again excuse my ignorance. A navy guy huh, I am actually a flyboy stationed at Hurlburt Field which isnt too terribly far away. The bike is now en route but I have to go do some training exercises for a month, I will start a build thread eventually and put the link in here.

my amf roadmaster frame actually has a fixed seat post, no bolt but what appears to be small tack welds... dont know if this helps... mine may be a previous owners genious idea to keep it where he wanted it... :?

Back