new guy from So. Cal.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Great forum you have here. I've been lurking for a few months, and figured it was about time I said "hi".
I've been a mountain biker for a dozen years or so, and inherited a dumpster-rescue Schwinn cruiser. Seemed to be in good condition -- just painted primer gray all over. I started thinking about what I could do to customize it, and after some google searches, ran across this forum and the wonderful world of rat rod bikes. I've learned a lot from reading through this forum.
Here's what I've done to the bike so far (I know, this is lame without pics; I should have been taking some throughout the rebuild. I'll post some soon): I stripped the frame down to bare steel, and sprayed it everyday with salt water for about a month and a half. (Saw this technique applied to a brand new dirt jumper in Decline magazine). Then I coated it with matte clear. The finish looks awesome!
I took the wheels and hubs apart, and everything that was chrome got sanded down and painted with a dark Rustoleum mettalic. Hubs, spokes, nipples, everything. Got in WAY over my head. But now I know how to rebuild a Bendix coaster brake; those things are pretty cool.
I even painted the white walls to match the rims; it looks good, but I'm concerned that pressure on the tires from riding it will cause the paint to crack. If that happens, I'll probably just replace the white walls with all black.
I loved what Ed_Straker's_Rat here on the forums did with his Gas Pipe Special ( http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... a&start=15 ), so I borrowed the seatpost technique for my bike.
Still need to find a nice brown leather Brooks saddle, and I need a new gooseneck. Mine was all sanded and painted and looking good, and I took it to Home Depot to match my paint color, and I must have left it there. Bummer.
Oh, I also made a custom flattened Guinness bottlecap head badge; looks awesome. I thought that was an original idea, but after I made mine, I googled "bottle cap head badge" and saw that there's a shop doing exactly that. Oh well. My grips I'm hoping are an original idea; it's top secret for now, but I'll post pics when it's all done.
Anyway, love the site and all the contibutions. Like I said, I've learned a lot from you guys, and look forward to learning more. Thanks for having me!

Blackwell

more SO CAL! Pretty soon we all need to get together for a ride!

welcome.

Welcome Blackwell, your first names not Bubba is it? Lookin' forward to pic's of the saltwater treatment.

Thanks for the welcomes!
roadmaster -- I'll take some shots and post them in the next couple days.
Quanah -- nope, not Bubba. But that would have been cool. My parents weren't that creative.
Lee -- where in So. Cal. are you? I live in south OC; my wife and I like to do the Huntington Beach boardwalk ride; start at the pier, ride 7 miles north to Taco Surf for tacos, beer and margaritas, and then back to the pier. She's really itchin' to do the ride again soon, so I've gotta get this bike put back together soon...

Bubba Blackwell is a motorcycle jumper, and I believe has broken most of Evil Kneivels records. http://www.bubbablackwell.com/

large_Bubba.jpg

ohla ! from nor cal.

welcome to the site thats out of sight !

HA! We were just at HB last Saturday! ....... day! I'm down in Lake Forest....I like to ride at Irvine Park alot. Newport is nice as well.

thanks A.S., Galtbacken, Markm, and Fireproof! I'm glad to be here.

Hey Lee -- so how was HB? Crowded? Where at Irvine Park do you ride? I'm familiar with the park, but only because I mtn bike over that way sometimes. Didn't realize there was any good cruiser riding over there. I'm in Mission Viejo - we should definitely have a So. Cal. get-together sometime.

Here are a few shots of the bike; I'll start posting more photos in the bike gallery section once I get the whole thing back together again. But you can see the final rust/clear coat finish in these shots, as well as the metallic paint I used for the chrome. Oh, and my headbadge...

100_2504.jpg

100_2503.jpg

100_2502.jpg

Back