New guy here - what bike do I have?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, stumbled across this forum while looking for more info on my bike project and its the perfect place to ask my question(s):

First, I was given this bike by my grandfather awhile ago and have the plans on making it a rat bike. Not that it really matters to me but I would like to know what make/model it is. I believe the chain guard says 'Thundersomethingorother.' Any ideas?
Secondly, whats the best way to strip the rust to bare metal, short of sand/media blasting? I tried rust stripper, wire wheels, etc. and to no avail. You can see the front fender I sanded down but it took forever to get it that way. Any other suggestions?
Thanks, guys, I look forward to your help and input w/ the project--

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

Sick lookin Ride rkeith!
I think Hooch is right about The Murray...
I love the Tank and the Chainring..

keep sanding my friend..
just keep sanding..you don't have to get it down to bare metal..
just get all the loose and Oxide bits off..a good Primer
and a top coat will be fine..

For your first Rat Bike it's a beauty..
welcome aboard...
peace,
Kev.

my buddys got that Same bike, Sold under the name "Sears" on the guard..
Love it.

rust????

two words: naval jelly (and a wire brush). can be found in the paint section of home depot. takes a little more effort, but comes out much shinier than sanding. i believe a jar of it is around $6. i can almost guarantee that tank will look like a shiny missile by the time youre done.

Now THATS patina!

I'd be kinda inclined to put some nice rims and tires on there ,polish the sproket and leave it as is.

looks like a Monark

Hey! This bike appears to be Monark Thunderbird. I have a few, and the lines, guards, tank & headlights are exact matches to what I have. The chainring is different, but then, that happens. Enjoy the ride!

Okay i got a pic of my buddys, Loooks real close 2 me.

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1358.jpg
Code:
[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/ricksterr1221/DSCF1359.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/ricksterr1221/DSCF1360.jpg[/img]

Hes gonna keep it just like that, He just said "Thanks for the tip"b

ricksterr1221 said:
Okay i got a pic of my buddys, Loooks real close

That's it! That's definitely the bike I have. The chain guard said 'Thunderbird' on it but I couldn't find who made it. Thanks!

PS. I stripped/refinished the bike last week but it needs just a few finishing touches before I post the pics.

Yeah HOOCH Is right, a murray sold under a million different names.

Back